It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

pegleg116 HB User
Broke my tibia plateau and calcaneus on 11/18/09 what are long term outcomes

I broke my left tibia plateau (Shatzker type VI) and calcaneus (Sanders type IV) on 11/18/09. I has been about six months now and I have been to about 3 months of physical therapy. I just found out 2 weeks ago that my knee has not healed at all and I am in need of a second surgery to repair the nonunion. So I basically wasted 3 months in therapy. The heel bone has healed but I have little motion and severe pain when the foot articulates or when weight bearing, my foot surgeon is recommending a subtalor fusion which I am skeptical about due to the large nonunion rates and the procedure not helping a lot of recipiants. What I really want to know are the long term outcomes of people with similar injuries. Will an active life be possible after these injuries? Will I be able to return to work as a lineman after these injuries? Anybody with similar injuries? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
(male)

limping faster HB User
Re: Broke my tibia plateau and calcaneus on 11/18/09 what are long term outcomes

Hey dude, it will get better but you gotta fight the pain. I'm an arborist in England , I fractured my spine and wrist in 2007 , that was 3 months rest. It repaired , there was a lot of pain but I'm stubborn and kept on pushing. That's all well behind me now , 3 days after your accident last November I took a tumble & shattered my calcaneus. That's another 3 months off with my leg in a cast, mine was very well smashed but alignment not too far out so fortunately no op.
I am back at work I struggle to do more than a 3 to 4 day week. I tried to go back to work the same week the cast came off , I just got under the guys feet really but as the weeks went by gradually managed more & more.
I can climb trees again now , easier than walking , the harness takes a lot of the weight. I will do a couple of days a week climbing & a couple of days ground crew. My foot is still very stiff & painful. I limp badly & most days overdo it , that's my way . It still hurts if I sit at home . I find some weeks there is good progress other weeks I seem to go backwards. I keep stretching those painful tendons . The physio has instructed me to do calf raises that's the one thing I just can't do , the pain is just so intense , its holding the skinny calf back. I do a lot of practice, trying to stand on one leg to regain balance. My physio has just introduced me to a bit of hopping. The last 2 exercises amuse the wife and kids immensely.
I guess that's the key to it all ,a bit of humour even if it is at our expense. I hope this has been a help to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread