It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

joeytuna HB User
bone bruise or suspected subchondral fracture in anterior aspect of talus body

Help! I sprained my ankle three times in the past two months. Initially, I turned my ankle over on an uneven surface in the sidewalk and fell. I iced my ankle and this jerk I was with told me to walk on it because that's what athletes do to avoid swelling. I took advil and walked on it for awhile. Then, three days later, I was running down the stairwell and twisted it again and landed hard. I iced it and laid low for awhile, but then, did too much and went to a DPM. I was x-rayed and told it was a bad sprain. I was placed in a soft cast and was x-rayed two days later. Told there might be a stress fracture on the outside bone of my ankle. Wore a soft cast for around ten days to two weeks with a velcroe shoe. (I didn't want to wear the boot they suggested and gave me.) Started to improve and wore an akle sleeve or an ace bandage. Then, re-sprained my ankle (0uch) on an uneven surface. Started all over with the ankle sleeve or ace bandage and the shoe. Went to a doctor for my osteoporosis. He ordered an MRI. It revealed that I might have had a subchondral fracture of the anterior aspect of the talus body and a sprain of the anterior talofibular ligament suspected.
Went to an orthopedic guy for foot and ankle to see what he thought. He could not tell for sure that there had been a fracture or a contusion of the talus body ( there was a white portion at the mid-portion of the talus body.) He did not think I should go through physical therapy just yet. Wait another two to three weeks and outfitted me with a lace up ankle brace.

I am going insane! Not alot of pain but am worried that this will take forever. Don't know who to trust. My podiatrist thinks I shouldn't worry so much. I will see her on Friday. Was scheduled for therapy but now, do not know what to do. I am already tired of wearing any braces and feel comfortable with the ace bandage and wearing my gym shoes with orthotics. I am retired and sitting around all day is just not what I am comfortable doing.

How long does this take to heal? I am worried that I will be limited for a long time. How do you know who to trust regarding how to treat this condition? I do not know whether to get another opinion or what. It is hard for me to sit still, especially because it is summer and I had planned to make some changes in my life and now feel that my hopes and dreams will not come to pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread