It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

chickman05050 HB User
Question I would be interested in learning about recovery of ankle replacement.

I would be interested in learning about recovery of ankle replacement. I had ankle replacement surgery 3 weeks ago and have been in a cast, nonweightbearing and continue to have pain. I would be glad to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
(female)

RoseinGeorgia HB User
Re: Anyone ever have a Ankle replacement or Ankle Fusion?

Hi Chickman, I had an ankle replacement ..was a year ago this month. The first month I was in pain from the operation. I had to have my heel fused and a month later the replacment...I was put on pain killers for the first two months..after that I stopped taking them and felt no pain. You will be out of pain soon! When I first started walking I was like OMG I dont have pain and I can walk!!! Its amazing! I got my cast taken off then was put in a black boot..the boot was hard to walk in so I stopped wearing it. I went to PT and worked on getting the implant to move..They will probably get you a machine that you pull your foot up to help it move..I personally didnt like it. I started working out on my own ..I know I have scar tissue there..but I am moving at 20% with the implant and that is ok with the dr. I am going to get the tissue taken out so I can have more movement. I dont limp if I wear a inch high heel. I am starting to limp less with no shoes on at all. The important thing here is..listen to the dr!! And after the cast comes off move that ankle! it will hurt when doing it..but it is all worth it in the long run..I was off work for one month..you will see later on how great it is to walk and feel no pain...Wishing you luck..what kind of implant did you get? I had a in-bone replacement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

chickman05050 HB User

I had an inbone also. I had the heel fusion and ankle implant at the same time. How long did you remain in the cast? How long were you nonweightbearing? I am going back to the doctor today. Hopefully, he will be able to determine what my pain is from. I had my surgery performed in Florida and I live in NC, and the doctor here does not perform this surgery. He is doing my followup. The doctor that performed the surgery indicated that I should not be hurting while in the cast and should not be taking pain meds. With that being said, I wanted the doctor following me to remove the cast and be sure that there is not something wrong. Thanks so much.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
(male)

oldfireman HB User

I had a wright total ankle replacement in April 09. The surgery went well and no complications or pain since. A friend of my sister had an ankle fusion about the same time and has already been suffering hip problems, and looking at the possibility of a hip replacement (which the insurance will pay for). The big question is if you insurance will authorize and pay for the total ankle since most consider it experimental and not medically necessary. If you have a choice, you might really consider the total ankle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Walking View Post
Tell me about it pls... 53 yrs. old, female, active and scared....really bad arthritis in right foot...ankle fusion is the only option I'm told by 2 doctors... how much time off work (desk job) and how long til I walk or bike again?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

pegpacpam HB User

I crushed my ankle with tibial fx dec. 06 in an auto accident. They were unable to do surgery due to large stress blisters. My first sugery was to remove bone from bottom of heel and shave some from outer ankle. I then developed arthritis. The doctor did a fusion with human bone and two screws. The screws were coming out on their own so I had them removed. The resulting arthritis became unbearable. every time I thought I was getting ahead, walking on my own the pain continued to get worse. The doctor said it was one of the worse fractures he had seen. In feb of 2010 I had the ankle fused with rod and screws. After the cast came off I had a great 2 months. I kept asking about PT and he kept thinking it was not needed. Out of 3 1/2 years [I] have spent about 9 months non-weight bearing. He did tell me to take it easy. The only problem is where I have been walking--on uneven ground. I think I have strained my weak muscles. So please take it slow and easy recuperating. Thanks for a place to vent!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
(female)

gateway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki 9255 View Post
Hello, This is my first post. I have avascular necrosis in my joints due to Systemic Lupus. Prolonged steroid and immunosupressive drugs have also contributed to my bone and joint destruction. I had a left ankle fusion in 1995 and did quite well. I have also had 4 other major joint replacements within the last 13 years. I was scheduled in July 2008 to have a new ankle joint replacement of my right ankle called a Salto Talaris by Tornier. Has anyone else heard of this new replacement? I was turned down by my husbands insurance company because they deemed it too experimental. The FDA approved it for use in the USA in November 2006. It has been so frustrating and I have been in terrible ankle pain for the last 2 years. My last appeal will be coming up on October 20th. The insurance company said it would pay for a right ankle fusion, but, with my left ankle already fused, having both ankles fused would be so difficult. I have already been through an arthrodesis of my right ankle in 2002. Thanks for any information you might have.
I had the salto ankle replacement 7 weeks ago. I had fusion in my foot a few months before that. So far so good. I just got out of cast and into a boot. I chose not to have the ankle fused because I would defintley have a limp. I'll be glad to answer any questions as I progress along.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
(female)

gateway HB User

I had replacement and understood within 10-15 years it could go bad but I also understood that a ankle fusion could be done even after the replacement. I am 60 so I decided the replacement was make sense for me.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
(female)

chickman05050 HB User

I had an inbone ankle replacement 3 months ago. I am out of the boot and now in an ankle brace. Could you tell me if wearing the brace was painful to you. I feel as if it is pushing on something on the side of my foot and lower leg. I am now in physical therapy and feel as if I have more mobility of my ankle, however, it does hurt. Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
(female)

gateway HB User

I wore a brace before the ankle replacement and that is what made up my mind to have the replacement, i won't have one since i've had the replacement. I do have the boot now for almost a week. I have to wear it a month and it really bothers my back and hips.I'm not sure if what I had was called inbone replacement or not.I had foot fusion before the ankle replacement and had a lot of pain and come to find out one of the plates or screws from that surgery had torn a legiment so when they did they replacement they repaired the legiment. I would probably want an ultra sound done especially if you have any hardward in your foot. or ankle. I had the Salto Tare.... can't spell it but that is what I had.

Last edited by gateway; 08-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
(female)

chickman05050 HB User

The doctor keeps telling me that I will feel different pains for a year. I wanted to ask someone that has experienced an ankle replacement with heel fusion their progress. Does your ankle/leg hurt while walking in the boot? Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
(female)

gateway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickman05050 View Post
The doctor keeps telling me that I will feel different pains for a year. I wanted to ask someone that has experienced an ankle replacement with heel fusion their progress. Does your ankle/leg hurt while walking in the boot? Thanks
No the ankle and leg doesn't hurt, just my foot where I had fusion on it and he told me that might hurt for a year also. But My ankle has not hurt. I am bearing about 50 to 75 percent weight. I am overweight and I know it will help to loose weight.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
(female)

chickman05050 HB User

I saw you had an ankle replacement approx. a year ago. I had my ankle replacement in May, 2010 and am now in a brace after wearing the boot. Did you hurt while wearing the brace. I feel as if the brace is pressing on something on my lower leg and outside of foot. I am in PT now. The doctor keeps telling me that I am going to feel different pains for a year. Just wanted to ask someone who has been there to assure me that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad you are doing well. Thanks

Last edited by chickman05050; 08-08-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Closed Thread