It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User
Someone PLEASE advise me! (desperate).

I desperate for advice please.
(previously posted on here about a sore/painful left leg/foor for last 3 years, with no diagnosis)

I did a tiny slip in my lounge, and suprisingly broke my ankle, also fractured the other side apparently! Dr said i broke the ligaments as well. Had an op 3 days later to repair it with plate/screws on 12th November. I think the op was called an 'orif' op!

What i want to know is what i can do now - i am so depressed i keep crying. I am overwieght 15st/210lbs and i am so struggling to get about on my zimmer frame. I find it to hard to carry my own weight on one leg, and i am so very breathless once i do hop about. I can't use crutches as i keep falling over. Iv'e been stuck in bed for 2 weeks today and i cant stand it. When can i actually try walking, i am hopping to the loo, and i am sitting on the couch (as my bed is in the lounge as i can't do stairs) and i keep moving my toes and leg all the time. But i hate this. My cast is due to be taken off on 16th December and that is a long long way off. When can i expect to put a bit of weight on the leg.

I have read people on here talking abut an 'air boot', would that help me.

Should i be trying to make ankle move so it doesne't seize up! I don't have anyone to ask.

I saw the dr at the hospital last week but i didn't take in all what he was telling me as i was in pain with the staples being pulled out of my painful leg.

I want so desperately to try and walk, but am scared once i put my heavy weight on it i will do more damage.

I also note that once i do put my foot on the floor it throbs and i can feel it filling up with blood and swelling and it is too painful so i have to get straight back on my bed.

I would so appreciate any advice please. I am already on anti depressants, but the depression i feel now is only because of being stuck in one room all day, i was a really happy person working full time before.

Thanks

Caza.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: cazajacks
JamiJames123 (12-18-2010), sjb (01-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
(female)

JamiJames123 HB UserJamiJames123 HB User
Re: Someone PLEASE advise me! (desperate).

Wow, I just read your message and we are going through something very similar... but my pain is in my back... i noticed you got your cast off a couple days ago... how are you doing?? Isnt it so hard being stuck in bed depressed and in major pain!!! Trust me I get it and I feel your pain!

Keep in touch and let me know your ok
Jami

The following user gives a hug of support to JamiJames123:
sjb (01-02-2011)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi, Well i am 6 weeks post op today and still in pain. I have had the dr treble the strength of my pain killers, but everyone else who has my injury have not needed pain killers for this long??

I am only able to walk around my house for about 15 mins max, then i have to get in to my wheelchair as the pain is inbearable, but when i do walk i walk really really strangely as i am walking sideways like a crab lol. I can't walk normal as my left leg/ankle/foot are sort of set in stone, they don't bend at all and if i do try to bend them it's agonly, so i have to walk in this awful manner?

What have you done to your back, are you feeling any brighter, isn't the down feeling awful. I am now manageing to go upstairs to bed at night, but i have to crawl on all fours and it is painful.
Are you still stuck in bed, i do hope not!

Let me know how your doing.

Caz,

The following user gives a hug of support to cazajacks:
sjb (01-02-2011)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Oh one other thing Jami, now i'm have to walk in a ridiculous manner it is badly affecting my back. My back is killing me and is in so much pain it actually makes me want to cry. I know it is the way i am walking that is doing it as i can feel it putting pressure on my back everytime i try to walk, so i can really sympathise with you with you back pain.

I hope your getting better,

Caza.

sjb (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Am going to see the Dr this coming Tuesday as i cannot take the backache any longer, it is agony and leaves me in tears. I am still walking with a limp but not as bad as it was so i'm guessing this should just go with time. I hope the back ache goes soon as i can only stay upright for ten minuts, no longer without crying with the back pain!!

sjb (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi, I fail to understand why the crutches can't be used, is that because of back pain? In my opinion pillows on the bed or a nearby chair while sitting might help keep the foot elevated a bit at night and keep it a bit more comfortable. I would not put weight on it yet, in my opinion it could keep proper healing from occuring and possible complications or subsequent surgeries. Sometimes the doctor writes instructions on the emergency room papers. If the writing is too poor and can't be understood perhaps the emergency room and/or doctor could be called back for proper instructions. I hope this helps. :sympathies:

Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thank you sjb, i have not been using the crutches as no one has said to use them now i've learnt to walk. I do use them if i have to go out of the house because i am finding i trip real easy, so they give me balance and stability outside.
But after 8 weeks i guess i should be doing everything i should normally do?? So i have put the crutches away.

I hope my Dr can give me some advice on what to do tomorrow as i am really confused.

Caza

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would think that if it still hurts for weight bearing it really may not be ready even after 8 weeks. Yes I would ask the doctor about that issue particularly since it might have been reinjured a bit with a "trip" or accidental weight bearing before being ready to do so.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
(female)

ElleSee HB User
Smile Re: Someone PLEASE advise me! (desperate).

I fell on ice in mid-December dislocated my right ankle, popped the deltoid ligaments and broke my fibula, Weber B.
I also chipped the elbow end of the left radius in the same fall and was in rehab after an operation to remove a tumour from my right wrist( 42 stitches in hand and wrist!).
I had surgery next day to plate and screw it. Got out of hospital in a super heavy Plaster cast 5 days after that. Fully non-weight bearing. Had to sleep downstairs too. I also struggled with zimmer, I'm overweight too and having problems with both arms made it even more challenging.
I experienced the same swelling and purple foot when foot wasn't elevated fully with throbbing pain.
After 4 weeks the op had to be redone as my ankle kept partially dislocating when I wiggled my toes, as instructed. I had 2 long screws inserted right into the Tibia to immobilise the bone and aid healing.
Non weight bearing for a further 7 weeks, in cast, stitches came out and were fine but still very swollen. Getting around improved but still exhausting and painful, still on zimmer and sleeping downstairs.
3-4 weeks ago got the cast off and replaced with a boot, not the airboot type but one with a rigid frame, interior padding and velcro straps. Really heavy but can now weight-bear 25-30% of weight. Also got crutches and found these really hard to use. Killer headaches and tension in neck and shoulders...have to make an effort to relax.
I can now get up and down stairs on my bottom and get around the house on the crutches but that's about it!
Physiotherapy is helping, I have nerve damage and adhesions to work on and I do feel that the range of movement is getting better. I have a lot of muscle wasting to work on rebuilding.
Boredom is killing me and I am working hard not to comfort-eat as this will only make getting about even tougher. I have restricted my food intake, and after 14 weeks on my backside, I have managed to keep the weight from piling on. Try eating small meals 5 or 6 times per day rather than 2 or 3 large meals, I find it helps me and should kick start a sluggish metabolism.
I have a further op in a week or two, to take out the large screws and allow the Tibia and Fibula to move independently again. i am eager to get this done to help me to start weight-bearing again...but scared.
I believe that 3-6 months recovery form this type of break is completely normal and I anticipate mobility problems for a further 12-18 months, apparently stairs are the biggest problem to overcome...
Not sure I can offer any advice, but I do have empathy, I had no idea how awful this type of injury could be, good luck and keep your chin up, this is out of your control, go with the flow and try to keep positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazajacks View Post
I desperate for advice please.
(previously posted on here about a sore/painful left leg/foor for last 3 years, with no diagnosis)

I did a tiny slip in my lounge, and suprisingly broke my ankle, also fractured the other side apparently! Dr said i broke the ligaments as well. Had an op 3 days later to repair it with plate/screws on 12th November. I think the op was called an 'orif' op!

What i want to know is what i can do now - i am so depressed i keep crying. I am overwieght 15st/210lbs and i am so struggling to get about on my zimmer frame. I find it to hard to carry my own weight on one leg, and i am so very breathless once i do hop about. I can't use crutches as i keep falling over. Iv'e been stuck in bed for 2 weeks today and i cant stand it. When can i actually try walking, i am hopping to the loo, and i am sitting on the couch (as my bed is in the lounge as i can't do stairs) and i keep moving my toes and leg all the time. But i hate this. My cast is due to be taken off on 16th December and that is a long long way off. When can i expect to put a bit of weight on the leg.

I have read people on here talking abut an 'air boot', would that help me.

Should i be trying to make ankle move so it doesne't seize up! I don't have anyone to ask.

I saw the dr at the hospital last week but i didn't take in all what he was telling me as i was in pain with the staples being pulled out of my painful leg.

I want so desperately to try and walk, but am scared once i put my heavy weight on it i will do more damage.

I also note that once i do put my foot on the floor it throbs and i can feel it filling up with blood and swelling and it is too painful so i have to get straight back on my bed.

I would so appreciate any advice please. I am already on anti depressants, but the depression i feel now is only because of being stuck in one room all day, i was a really happy person working full time before.

Thanks

Caza.

The following user gives a hug of support to ElleSee:
sjb (03-24-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Just a quick update, its been 13 months since i broke my ankles, and i can walk fine now, still get pain in them though, still fall down if i treat on something as small as a pea, ankle still swells up if im upright for too long. sometimes it gets sore like one of the screws is digging in my skin, and it aches all the time. Dont know if its meant to be like this, plus i have a limp nearly all the time, but hey, i can walk xx

Closed Thread