It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

Ratties HB User
Pectus Excavatum is ruining my life...what do I do?

First of all, I have no insurance and can't afford surgery. I need a non-surgical option to get rid of it.

I tried to enlist in the army but I was rejected due to Pectus Excavatum. Every guy who has ever been intimate with me has run away from it. I am embarrassed to wear my bikini and low cut shirts. It's making me depressed. I need to know what I can do to get rid of it. This deformity is always on my mind and has ruined everything that I tried to do.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ratties:
tronhov (05-11-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

Ratties HB User
Re: Pectus Excavatum is ruining my life...what do I do?

No one has any information that can help me out? I'm desperate. Please, there has to be something I can do.

operationsparta (10-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

Ratties HB User

Really? Over 60 views and not 1 person can reply? I need to know what I can do to get rid of this condition so I'm not alone forever and so I can wear my swimsuits.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

tooshytosay HB User

Hello
I'm so sorry to read your post. I can't advise on treatments though I have seen discussions on other sites which I found by googling. I am a 47 year old woman with mild PE and like you I'd say it's on my mind a huge amount of time. I have a very full and happy life but I feel I have this secret which is actually the thing that governs so much about me and means I've never even felt I've dressed as I want to. I get very very down about it though none of my friends would guess that (or even know about it)
I'd be really keen to talk to other women living with it and to know whether many women are brave enough to just wear what they want.

The Following User Says Thank You to tooshytosay For This Useful Post:
Ratties (03-04-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

There is a support group, Google " Pectus Deformities Support Group", a non profit corporation. It might be helpful to see what others have and have had done.
James

Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

Ratties HB User

Yeah I came across that support group, they want to charge a fee to join and I'm currently unemployed with no income. I just want to find a way to fix this so I'm not alone forever, my military career is over before it started and there is nothing I can do about that but that doesn't mean I want to be single forever. I won't date until I can find a way so that it's not noticeable, I'm tired of guys seeing the deformity and running for the hills like I'm some kind of monster. It feels horrible to know that you're not good enough for anyone.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

cloudstrife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratties View Post
Yeah I came across that support group, they want to charge a fee to join and I'm currently unemployed with no income. I just want to find a way to fix this so I'm not alone forever, my military career is over before it started and there is nothing I can do about that but that doesn't mean I want to be single forever. I won't date until I can find a way so that it's not noticeable, I'm tired of guys seeing the deformity and running for the hills like I'm some kind of monster. It feels horrible to know that you're not good enough for anyone.
I am really sorry and I feel your pain. I also have pectus excavatum, I hate it and feel horrible about it because my breasts are uneven because of it. I wear padded bras because of that. But I wanted to ask you how do the guys you know run away from it, is it after you're intimate or can they tell before?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
(female)

Ratties HB User

They leave after I'm intimate with them...if they are drunk they don't notice it but I can't get a boyfriend or husband and keep him constantly drunk..

the only other times they can tell is when I wear swimsuits so I have to get rid of my swimsuits...and other low cut shirts (gotta get rid of them too), I am going to be roasting during summertime.

cloudstrife (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
(female)

cloudstrife HB User

maybe you should look into getting breast implants, that's why I am planning/hoping to do. I thinks its safer than getting a repair procedure which can be really risky. Does your pectus affect only your chest or are your breasts asymmetrical as well? Is that why your boyfriends can tell? Also, how severe is your pectus?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
(female)

Ratties HB User

I can't afford breast implants..I don't think they are asymmetrical...my chest just caves in...the MEPs nurse said my haller index is 3.7(I think Centimeters but I guess it could be in inches)...severe enough to see but not severe enough to cause trouble breathing.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

As far as I know, surgery is the only remedy. It is usually done when the patient is still a child. I'm sorry your family didn't have the resources to deal with it then. The surgeon who invented the current "gold standard" for this procedure is at the children's hospital in Norfolk, VA. I forget his name - believe it begins with a "P" (a friend's son had the surgery there). Perhaps you could locate him and see if his office has any suggestions. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
(female)

Ratties HB User

I didn't know about it when I was a child...I only recently found out about it (at MEPs)...It's like it magically appeared to make my chances of having a happy future disappear...

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I checked and it is called the Nuss Procedure- Dr Nuss invented it. Please look into it.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
(female)

Ratties HB User

I have...I can't afford the surgery...I'm unemployeed and don't have any insurance.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
(female)

Ratties HB User

No other suggestion other than Surgery?...I can't wear any low cut shirts, swimsuits, tank tops or any of that this summer...I can't date so any chance of getting married or having children is gone...this whole thing has gotten me depressed... I can't afford the surgery or I would get it just to have a chance at a life...when I was diagnosed with this condition, my whole life ended...

Closed Thread