It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

Astayt HB User
Need Advice in Cervical Rib

Hi, I'm a 24 year old girl with a cervical rib on my right side. (extra rib in the neck/clavicle area). Through-out growing up it would act up and bother me, the first time I discovered it was when I was a kid doing flips on a trampoline. End story was that I somehow agitated it and discovered the protruding bump right above my clavicle. Got x-rays done and found out what it was.

Currently I'm having issues with moving my right arm around and having the rib rub up against my clavicle. It doesn't hurt, but its down right irritating to feel the two bones "popping and rubbing" against each other. My second problem is that neck on that side feels tighter and some times when the right pressure is applied it causes mild sensitivity. It is difficultly uncomfortable to lift things and to also sleep on that side (ironically it is the most comfortable side for me to sleep on). My concern today is, does anyone know if it can shift over time and cause any sort of harm? I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to move it in a wrong way and cause the rib to pop out from under the clavicle and smother my arteries in my neck.

Astayt

Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

bunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB User
Re: Need Advice in Cervical Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astayt View Post
Hi, I'm a 24 year old girl with a cervical rib on my right side. (extra rib in the neck/clavicle area). Through-out growing up it would act up and bother me, the first time I discovered it was when I was a kid doing flips on a trampoline. End story was that I somehow agitated it and discovered the protruding bump right above my clavicle. Got x-rays done and found out what it was.

Currently I'm having issues with moving my right arm around and having the rib rub up against my clavicle. It doesn't hurt, but its down right irritating to feel the two bones "popping and rubbing" against each other. My second problem is that neck on that side feels tighter and some times when the right pressure is applied it causes mild sensitivity. It is difficultly uncomfortable to lift things and to also sleep on that side (ironically it is the most comfortable side for me to sleep on). My concern today is, does anyone know if it can shift over time and cause any sort of harm? I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to move it in a wrong way and cause the rib to pop out from under the clavicle and smother my arteries in my neck.

Astayt
Hello Astayt, I do believe Drs call this Thoracic Outlet Syndrome(yours vascular, there are 3 types of TOS). I would ask to see a vascular surgeon who could do surgery to remove the extra rib as it could cause problems with the small arteries in your neck, I was just dx with TOS(different type)and experience pain, weakness, tingling/numbness, pins and needles sensations in my neck, shoulders, arms down to my hands. I average 3-4 hrs of sleep as both arms fall heavily asleep and tingling constantly wakes me up, my arms are so weak and yes hurts to lift anything even my coffee cup...take care, bunz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

Jamie2momma HB User
Re: Need Advice in Cervical Rib

I am 27, when i was 20 i had my 3rd rib in my neck removed through my arm pit, now 7 years later I feel like it is coming back, when i move my arm its starting to feel numb again and the lump in my neck is also getting larger. Do you know if these things can grow back?

Closed Thread