It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
(male)

wolgie HB User
20yr old Scaphoid Non Union Fracture

So here is my deal. When I was in the Army 20 years ago, I broke my wrist while on leave riding in the back of a pickup truck. My friend was driving like a jack @ss and hitting dips at a high speed and I came down hard on my scaphoid. It was excruciating and swelled.

But being a hard headed infantryman off to war I didn't tell anyone until I was deployed and the war ended. When I finally told them, they said oh it's just sprained and gave me an ace bandage and some Motrin (their cure all).

So from then on I did push-ups on my knuckles to avoid flexing the wrist (way too painful). I lived with it for another year and after falling on it again, finally convinced them to x-ray it. They showed me the scaphoid was clean in half with just a few fibers trying to reattach it. They said a bone graft from my hip and surgery were needed. I was getting out soon, and said no way am I letting an Army doc do that kind of surgery on me. (No offense to you Army docs)

Anyway I have stayed active in sports and just taped it and worked around it for 20 years now. I am finally realizing that I may want to think about getting it done before I get much older. I am concerned about Arthritis.

My questions are, what chances do I have for healing after 20 years? and what about being 40yrs old? How much is this going to cost? I do have insurance but I wonder how much out of pocket? What do you think the success rate will be?

I am going to look around and get some opinions, but I thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: 20yr old Scaphoid Non Union Fracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolgie View Post
So here is my deal. When I was in the Army 20 years ago, I broke my wrist while on leave riding in the back of a pickup truck. My friend was driving like a jack @ss and hitting dips at a high speed and I came down hard on my scaphoid. It was excruciating and swelled.

But being a hard headed infantryman off to war I didn't tell anyone until I was deployed and the war ended. When I finally told them, they said oh it's just sprained and gave me an ace bandage and some Motrin (their cure all).

So from then on I did push-ups on my knuckles to avoid flexing the wrist (way too painful). I lived with it for another year and after falling on it again, finally convinced them to x-ray it. They showed me the scaphoid was clean in half with just a few fibers trying to reattach it. They said a bone graft from my hip and surgery were needed. I was getting out soon, and said no way am I letting an Army doc do that kind of surgery on me. (No offense to you Army docs)

Anyway I have stayed active in sports and just taped it and worked around it for 20 years now. I am finally realizing that I may want to think about getting it done before I get much older. I am concerned about Arthritis.

My questions are, what chances do I have for healing after 20 years? and what about being 40yrs old? How much is this going to cost? I do have insurance but I wonder how much out of pocket? What do you think the success rate will be?

I am going to look around and get some opinions, but I thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks for your help!
49 years ago whilst in the military I broke my scaphoid playing basketball. That was about as painful as it gets. Let me explain, the scaphoid unlike most bomes has only one artery in and one vein out. The distal part tends to lose its density if it does not heal. You may have an imperfect bone which might do well with an operation with a bone graft and screw and also it might do well if you just leave it .Being a medic at the time and waiting for my warrant officer promotion I did not particularly want to have it on my record so I exrayed it and set it myself, now that was really painful. It seemed to heal ok but at times it aches. I would think if you were going to get arthritis it would have been evident by now. Good luck anyway. I should say I was promoted to WO something I always wanted but the novelty wore off and I left the military very soon afterwards.
James

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
(male)

wolgie HB User
Re: 20yr old Scaphoid Non Union Fracture

That's funny James, the military seems to have a way of taking the fun out of just about anything, don't they! Don't get me wrong I have high regards for those who serve, just not the massive bureaucracy. God bless all you guys overseas right now in harms way. Stay safe.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate the response.

Closed Thread