I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this, or if anyone has any advice about this topic.
Last February or so I started getting an ache in the large toe in my right foot. I ignored it at first but it got to the point where I starting limping on it and it really hurt. So I went to the GP and he x-rayed it and said it was osteoarthritis in the joint. I was shocked by this and he referred me to an orthopedic doctor to find out what to do with it.
So, the orthopedic doctor did an exam of my feet and lower legs. He told me that he didn't think it was osteoarthritis, but he did ask me why my right shin was so tender when he touched it. I explained to him that I had a stress fracture in my right tibia about 8 years earlier. It has always been a bit tender, but it had started hurting more in the last year or so. I had gone to my GP about it, and they did an exam and just told me that it was the old stress fracture acting up and that this was normal and most people had problems with pain from stress fractures.
The orthopedic doctor told me that that was nonsense, and he wanted to x-ray it too, to make sure there was nothing going on there, that old stress fractures don't just hurt forever.
Fast forward to this week:
I went and say the orthopedic doctor and he did a set of x-rays. I went in expecting to hear about what to do about my toe that has been just driving me crazy lately. To my utter surprise, he told me that my toe was fine. No osteoarthritis, he's not sure why the GP told me that. But even more surprising, the x-ray of my right tibia showed a decent size growth. He told me that it looked like a benign bone tumor.
I was floored...not what I was expecting at all! So, he told me that I have to come back in 6 months, for a follow up set of x-rays and potentially a CT scan and MRI.
So...I feel like I've been thrown for a loop here. I guess anytime a doctor tells you they've found a tumor is startling, benign or not!
What I would like to know...is this standard procedure (to wait 6 months to evaluate it)? I figure he wants to know if it's growing and how it's behaving...
Also, what are the odds that it should be removed? Personally, I am leaning towards wanting it removed, regardless of what the doc says...simply because I don't want a tumor just sitting there! Lastly, what kind of surgery and recovery are we looking at (for those who have been there)? I know you can't be specific, but general ideas would be nice. I want to go back and talk to my doc, but I'd like to be armed with some information so I know what kind of questions to ask. Thanks!