It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
(female)

MrsSAS HB User
Bunion Operation

Hi, I am new here and this is my first post, so I do hope I am putting it in the right place.

In a couple of weeks I am due to have my bunion removed, which has been so painful for years. Can anybody tell me what to expect afterwards and how mobile I will be please. Will I be able to put my foot to the ground, will I be mobile or resting.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

SAS

Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: Bunion Operation

Hi mrsSAS, yes, this would be under Foot Problems If you do a search for bunion or bunion surgery, it will come up with tons of threads with very good advice and tips and a vast range of experiences. Good luck with the surgery!
Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
(female)

MrsSAS HB User

Thank you, I shall go and do a search .

SAS

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

straighttoe HB User

I am 3 months post op... do you know what type of surgery you are having? There are a 100 or so types.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
(female)

MrsSAS HB User

I have no idea I am afraid to scared to ask , but today is the day 2.00pm this afternoon.

Good luck with your progress .

Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSAS View Post
I have no idea I am afraid to scared to ask , but today is the day 2.00pm this afternoon.

Good luck with your progress .
WOW! Best of luck and a speedy recovery!
Cheers!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
(female)

MrsSAS HB User

Thank you so much, jitterbugs in the tummy at the moment LOL!!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
(female)

straighttoe HB User

Good luck with your surgery and be patient!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
(female)

MrsSAS HB User

The operation was done 4.00pm Thursday afternoon, i was the last patient, it was a long day . I was kept in for the night and came home at 3.00pm yesterday. The toe is very painful at times, but I am resting it as much as I can. The elbow sticks I must say are not my best effort in getting around, but have mastered the stairs. Onwards and upwards now.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
(female)

nanswell HB User
Cool Re: Bunion Operation

MrsSAS: Interesting coincidence: I had my bunion corrected Thursday as well. The procedure is out-patient here in the states. I had the other foot done twenty years ago and recovery time was lengthy. That time, I was told to "walk to tolerance" and went shopping, back to classroom teaching soon, etc. I'm hoping for a better outcome this time by staying off the foot as much as possible--at least to avoid putting any pressure on the toe area. Ice at the knee helps--last time I was instructed to put it at the site of pain, which throbbed. The boot they gave me to wear after surgery is much bigger and heavier this time through as well. I loosen in and take my foot out when resting in the warm weather but strictly follow directions to keep it on otherwise. I think it stabilizes the surgical area, also puts weight back on heel when taking a few steps. My biggest problem so far is the restriction on driving. I live alone 5 miles from town, so I may violate the several weeks' non-driving requirement, using the boot to minimize pressure on toe joint.

Nanswell (& hope you are too)

Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
(female)

MrsSAS HB User

May I apologise for not answering before Nanswell, for some reason this thread was thrown into my spam file.

I am glad you are getting on alright after your op. It sounds as though your boot is the same as mine, which keeps the toe off the ground. I have been told not to wear mine until I go back to the hospital tomorrow to have my foot and dressing changed. I am supposed to hop on my elbow crutches, but I am absolutely useless at this , so wear my shoe just for getting about the house. I have rested almost completely for the last ten days, so I am hoping for a good result tomorrow.

I have been very pleased that I have not found the operation as painful as I thought it would be, it is mor inconvenient than painful. I am also being well looked after by my other half, which has been a real boon.

I am sending good vibes your way for a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Sheila

Closed Thread