It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

shaloo61 HB User
Unhappy heel spur surgery qestions

I am scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon next week about my heel spur. My primary doc tried cortisone injections and they didn't work at all. So now I'm looking at having it "shaved down". What is involved in this procedure? Please anyone who has had this done, I really need some info. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: heel spur surgery qestions

How long have you had the heel spur? I developed one about 12 years ago and went through every treatment you can imagine with very little relief. However, when surgery was mentioned I got a second opinion as I knew it was not fool proof as they can return. The second Dr. told me to buy myself a comfortable pair of tennis shoes and wear a rubber heel cup for at least 3 months before even considering surgery. I did that and within 2 months I had very good results.

Heel spur surgery is actually a process that involves traditionally cutting a small incision on the base of the foot to access the pressure and source of discomfort and to relieve them. Having said that, even with contemporary procedures, recovery is still quite a time consuming thing. Most heel spurs are caused from lack of Calcium so try taking a Calcium suppliment.

Wishing you well...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

shaloo61 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have had the heel spur for about 2 years. Had several cortisone injections, to no avail. I definitely don't want surgery. Going to see a podiatrist on Tuesday, since my primary doc has no idea what to do next. I have been wearing heel cups for about 6 months, but it still hurts. Thanks for your kind words. I will see if the podiatrist can possibly help me and go from there. I cancelled the ortho appt. because a nurse friend of mine said to try everything else before surgery.

Last edited by shaloo61; 08-21-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yes that is about how long I had mine. I went to a foot Dr. and he tried everything from orthodics, shots and anti inflamatory meds. and he suggested the surgery. After hearing other stories which weren't so great is when I saw an ortho. Dr. who suggested the comfy sneakers and heel cups. I was also wearing heel cups anyway but he had me try a different kind that were much thicker and did cushion the heel better. Like you, I wanted no surgery unless absolutely necessary.

Good luck...JJ..

Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

shaloo61 HB User

Well I saw the podiatrist today and he did an x-ray and an ultrasound. He diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis and bursitis and a heel spur! So he gave me a cortisone injection and put a cloth-type soft brace around my arch. He told me to wear it all day and take it off at night. He also told me the worst thing to do is go barefoot! OMG that is the first thing I do when I get home at night-take my shoes off! He said to wear my shoes at all times, even if I get up at night to use the restroom!

Anyway, the shot didn't hurt much at all. So far I haven't had any pain. Hoping this is going to work. I have another appt. in 2 weeks to be rechecked. He said that 90% of his patients don't have to have surgery. So I think the odds are in my favor!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the update and yes, my foot Dr. had me in a calf length cast with some fool lift on the bottom for a few weeks to take the pressure off. It did help but what a pain to try and get up and down stairs with.

Oh yes, I also got the ..NO barefoot thing as well. Was told it doesn't give you support which is true but we all love to do the barefoot thing... I even had to buy a slipper that had a slight heel to it as he said NO floppy slippers either. Oh well they weren't bad. Sounds like this Dr. knows what he is talking about so hopefully you will get relief with NO surgery.

Wishing you the best....JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
shaloo61 (08-24-2011)
Closed Thread