It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
(male)

ComfyShorts HB User
Hyoid Bone pain

A couple of days ago I noticed that the right end of my hyoid bone (the horseshoe-shaped bone underneath the chin and above the adam's apple) is somewhat more prominent and larger than the left side. It's also slightly painful when pressed/touched than compared to the left side. The area marked 1 on this diagram is the area I'm talking about, on my right...

There's no pain when I'm doing nothing, only when I feel for it.

It's the lack of symmetry and pain that concerns me. It seems to be the bone itself that's prominent and painful when touched, unless there's any closely attached lymph nodes or other things I'm not aware of.

I was recently diagnosed with Post-Nasal Drip and am taking medication for it after a nasty cold triggered it, so was thinking perhaps this may have been involved somehow?

19 years old, Male. No other problems.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
(male)

pko13579 HB User
Re: Hyoid Bone pain

Hello,

I am currently talking with my ENT doctor about Resuspending my hyoid bone. He took my CT scan and said that he would email me if he could do the surgery. So, I am waiting for his answer.

Anyway, the bottom line is that
"DO NOT excise or remove your hyoid bone."
Hyoid bone is ESSENTIAL for normal body function, such as breathing, swallowing, speaking, and total balance of the body.
I assure the you guys also have the feeling of unbalance for the neck and face; suppose that you cut the portion of your hyoid bone.
It would worsen the feeling of unbalance and the other symptoms.
That is, RESUSPENDING or RECONSTRUCTING the dislocated bone is the only way to fix this problem. I am waiting for my doctor's answer.
So, once again, "DO NOT listen to any doctor who insist that he or she should cut the dislocated bone. DO NOT !!!!!
I really hope and pray that this post would help you guys.

P.S: my ENT physician is Dr. Robert Ward. He is at Cornell University.
Even if he is at Pediatrician Department, he deals with the hyoid bone dislocation. So, if it is hard for you guys to wait for my result, you could try to contact him by yourselves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
(male)

pko13579 HB User
Re: Hyoid Bone pain

I got surgery from Dr. Tushar Lakhia in India.

He reconstructed the dislocated hyoid bone, by fixating the dislocated part with wires.
It greatly relieved my pains from clicking and feeling of unbalance between the left and the right neck.

Even if it does not help voice disorder, I think that it is much better than just excising the bone.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-02-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: please do not email addresses

Reply Reply