It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

Pattyb129 HB User
Smile Walking Cast v. Walking Boot?

I fractured my tibia and have been in a cast for almost 6 weeks. My doctor said once my cast is off he'd put me in a walking cast or walking boot but then said (since I do not have insurance) the walking boots are much more expensive (about $200) so he'd probably go with a walking cast. Since I do not want to have another cast, I've been researching walking boots online and have found several for anywhere from $60-$90. Does anyone have any experience with these and can let me know the best manufacturer of walking boots? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Walking Cast v. Walking Boot?

I used a pneumatic high-top walking boot. Probably the only vital criteria is that it come all the way up your calf. But you could actually ask your doctor which he recommends.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Pattyb129 (10-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

Pattyb129 HB User

Thank you! I have seen the air casts and they are a little more pricey. I will call my ortho doc today and find out which boot they recommend.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Never a day goes by without me seeing someone in a post fracture boot. I would amagine that there must be thousands of only slightly used boots around, somewhere on the web or hospital casting room where you could find one at nominal cost.
James

Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
(male)

ShowMeHillbilly HB User

I broke my leg in May of 2010 so I have been dealing with this for a while. Mabie I can help with what yourr questions are right now and ones you might have in the months to come. A quick story of what happened to me: was driving a small car, had a head on with another car in a 45mph zone. I was 0% at fault. My right leg was pressing hard against the brake pedal before impact. At impact my leg sliped off between the gas and brake wedging under the brake pedal and I was thrown into the passenger side floor board with my leg still under the brake pedal. The big bone (tibia I believe) was sticking out of the front of my leg 3-4" and my leg was bent almost horizontaly. It was 45mins to an hour before I was ablle to be helped by paramedics. I was put into surgury that day and had a metal rod implanted inside the tibia going from the knee to the ankle with two screws up top and 2 screws down low. The total medical cost was around $32k. The wound where the bone came thru the skin was stiched with 8 loose stiches, knee with 9 vertical staples (from the rod being implanted. They do this thru the knee.) And each screw with 2 stiches (8). I was told not to put any wieght on it for 6 weeks AND until the Doc said it was ok. After leaving the hospital I was put on lovenox shots 2x a day for 2 weeks so I wouldn't develop blood clots. Medications were 20mgs of Oxycontin every 6 hours, 20mgs of Codine every 4 hours and 500mgs of Keflex every 4 hours. After 6 weeks I was able to put 30% weight on the leg in the walking boot. Which I will say THE BOOT IS AWESOME! After 4 months i was able to walk again but was very limited. The boot vs a cast.... id say if it was choice id go with the boot. It keeps the tendons in your ankle streched so you will still have a fair amount of flexability in your ankle when your able to walk again. Also it feels good to scratch and rub the leg directly. With a cast id imagine it would be very uncomfortable. Also with my visits to the orthopedic doctors office I went to a lot of the injurys that were leg related the patients were also in boots. Long post but I hope this helps.

Closed Thread