It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
(male)

mrj1984 HB User
Post Broken Femur

Hey all, this is my first post on this site. So kind of new to this. I'm looking to share experiences, gain advice and maybe some reassurances. So, I'm a 27 year old male approx 75kg (12 stone) 6foot 1.. in good fitness etc. Regularly visit gym, recently completed my first half marathon in a reasonable time (less than 1h45m ). Eat healthly, dont really drink except weekends! And maybe smoke sometimes while drinking..as you do.

Basically, I broke my right femur just over 6 weeks ago (11th Sept) due to a cycling accident. Caused by a combination of factors, I had recently gained a new hybrid (push) bike. So it looks like a mountain bike, but is really light weight and has slick tyres. Due to the speed I was going (25mph+) and damp roads and a 90 degree right turn i was attempting the bike slid outwards and I landed on my right side on the road, luckily it was fairly late so no vehicles were involved ( i think i landed awkwardly, frame got tangled with my leg). At the time of fracture and looking down at my leg, it was a horror film moment where my leg was at a very strange angle. Feet pointing the wrong way etc, instinct.. I twisted my upper body on the floor and sort of corrected it to look more 'leg like' in appearance! This surprisingly wasnt painful at the time...I'm guessing shock was numbing the pain! So just to elabarate further the bone had been sent up my leg, making it a few inches shorter (identified by the 999 call agent) and I was put into a splint to pull the leg to a normal length after the ambulance arrived. Post X-ray it was confirmed that I had a broken femur and had shattered approx 4" of the bone into 4-5 pieces. Operation to have a metal bar inserted into my bone and pin it was the following day. The surgeon told me it was like completed a jigsaw puzzle and had to insert wire also to hold the bits together. :S

So all of the above I'm just trying to explain the severity of the break so you can hopefully answer my questions as best as possible. Just over 6 weeks down the line I'm still in crutches, using one when moving about the house. And sometimes none at all very short distance, for example when cooking (to the horror of my physio!). My range of movement is greatly improved, but muscle is somewhat wasted compared to my good leg. Pain is acceptable, except sometime I get pain in my hip. Or if i sit for too long with my leg bent under a chair. The worry I have, which i noticed even the day after my op was that my knee/lower leg has now been aligned slightly differently. My knee now points slightly more inwards and my right foot..which still has the same range of movement than the left but can twist maybe 30 degrees further inwards. Meaning I can twist my foot pretty much 90 degrees to the left.. also when I'm on crutches my right leg slightly points inwards. I'm thinking that the bone has been set slightly off angle with top part of my femur. I am still due my 2 month post op appointment with my consultant to discuss anything, but I'm posting to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. And if so what were the procedures in correcting this! I am worried that if my leg is left to fully heal in this position (other than having a strange gait!) I am probably going to be prone to knee problems and maybe not be able to run again... I hope someone can shed some light on this! A day after the operation after I voiced my concerns, the consultant did mention that they could possibly adjust the screws in the bar to change the allignment. But after extensive searching on the net, I can find no one who has been in a similar position. Surely adjusting the screws 8 weeks post op, the bone would of already started healing??

Apologies for the length of this post! And thanks for reading if you did have the patience to trawl through it all

Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread