It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
(male)

brad76 HB User
Bone Bruise in Ankle

Ok where do I start?

My history: I am an avid basketball player and have sprained my ankles 20+ times in my life. My recooperation from a sprain is always the same try and walk again no matter the pain. I would limp it off till 2 or 3 weeks later I could walk (for me) normal again. So for years I have had some reacurring pain in my ankles (especially my left one, the one I use to jump).

I mean if I would walk up to many steps, play golf, basketball, climb a ladder, in a day I would have to warm up my ankles the next morning (stand up, then sit down, stand up, then sit down, stand up walk a couple steps, sit down) and limp my way thru the day with intense pain, until a couple days later I could (again, for me) walk normal again. This went on for the last 10+ years.

In the past I have been diagnosed with high uric acid, so I thought my pain was the result of gout (my father has it pretty bad). Then about 3 weeks ago I started to get the normal pain in my left ankle, but this time I hadn't done any physical activity prior (no basketball, golf, running, anything).

Each day it got worse, in response I tried streching my ankle and doing physical thearpy activities I had learned in the past. This really ****** off my ankle till one day I couldn't even sit still with out there being an intense pain on the medial (inside) part of my ankle in the Talus area extending back to the hamstring, and could no longer walk anymore. There is no swelling or discoloration.

I went to a foot doctor telling him I thought I had gout (but this time worse than I had ever experienced). He took fluid out to have it tested. In the mean time he ordered an MRI, and put me on indocen (strong anti-inflamitory). Told me to come back a week later. Taking the indocen I got better and could at least put some weight back on the ankle and limp my way thru the day.

When I went back to see the doctor he told me I didn't have gout, but I did have a bone bruise. He took me off the indocen, saying that the same properties in indocen that took the inflammation away is the same that keep the bone bruise from healing, and put me in a air boot. He also took a blood test to see if I am Vitamin D deficient as I grew up in Alaska and Washington State. Turns out they could barely detect the vitamin D in my system.

Since taking me off the indocen I have steadly gotten worse again till now I am almost back to where I was 3 weeks ago. It is just an excrucating pain especially in the morning and evening and bringing me to tears about 3am. I am on crutches now and wearing an air boot (contraption thing...).

How could I have a bone bruise with no prior trama?
Should I get a second opinion?
How long do these things take to heal? What can I do to make it heal faster? ease this pain somehow? I would give my left arm just to be able to limp again.

I am desperate. I have my first child due on Jan 2nd and I don't want my wife to have to take care of two helpless people. I am scared this will go on forever as nothing has gotten better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
(male)

ace201300 HB User
Re: Bone Bruise in Ankle

I'm not a doctor, but I unfortunately have a whole lot of personal experience with ankle injuries (had reconstructive surgery on my left ankle in '08) so you can take my advice if you'd like. An ankle sprain can definitely cause a bone bruise. Injuries to the body caused by traumatic twisting, such as joint sprains, can cause bone bruising. The bruising occurs when the twisting joint causes the affected bones of the joint to collide forcefully. Knees and ankles are common areas to receive bone bruises due to a twisting injury.

"My recooperation from a sprain is always the same try and walk again no matter the pain. I would limp it off till 2 or 3 weeks later I could walk (for me) normal again."

Walking on a recently sprained ankle is a terrible thing to do. If it hurts enough that you are limping, then don't walk on it. Use crutches, a cane, or a walking boot and slowly return to walking. Once the pain turns more to a "soreness" is when you want to aggressively rehab followed by the proper use of the RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). You should use RICE after any ankle sprain, no matter how minor it is. So, you probably do have a bone bruise from an ankle sprain. You also probably have a whole lot of scar tissue built up in your joint with your history of ankle sprains and the lack of proper care after. Scar tissue can put more pressure on the joint and inflame the bone bruise even more. Getting your ankle scoped and removing some of the scar tissue could help, but you should definitely ask your doctor about the scar tissue and what he thinks the proper treatment should be.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

brad76 HB User

Hey thanks ace.

I have a doctor appointment in a couple days, and I will ask him about the scar tissue. This Dr. and others before have said that there is quite of bit of scar tissue in my ankle.

I just can't understand how I have a bone bruise with out any trama? I haven't sprained my ankle in (at least) a year and a half.

It has almost been 1.5 months since the pain of this bone bruise first started and I have little to no improvement. I can't put any weight on it, and still use crutches and a boot. I have to take a half a pill of vicoden every 4 to 5 hours so the intense dull pain doesn't consume my life.

Shouldn't I have some sort of improvement?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
(male)

ace201300 HB User

Yeah, that does seem a little strange to have a bone bruise without any significant trauma. The scar tissue build up could be the culprit, as it can put pressure on the joint and even change the way it moves. It is possible a small amount of trauma aggravated a prior bone bruise that never healed fully, but that seems unlikely. Gout has been ruled out, but if you're seeing a different doctor you might want a second opinion on that because gout can be extremely painful and is similar to the symptoms you are experiencing. Stress fracture? Plantar fasciitis? It could be any number of things, just don't be afraid to ask the doc any questions on your mind. I hope you figure it out and find some relief. I'm an avid basketball player myself, so good luck from a fellow baller...

The Following User Says Thank You to ace201300 For This Useful Post:
brad76 (12-15-2011)
Closed Thread