It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Eliska HB User
Bone cyst on calcaneus

Hi everyone.
This is my first post, just wondering if there is anyone out there who can relate to my story and perhaps offer some advice/support.

I am 28 years old from the UK. In the summer I injured my ankle by falling down stairs and ended up in A&E. Good news was that there was no break, bad news was that the x-ray (attached) had co-incidently showed a large lesion unassociated with injury. A follow up CT scan revealed that it was most probably either a simple bone cyst or an intraosseus lipoma (made from fatty substance), both of which are thankfully benign.
Although the cyst doesn't really hurt (it was after all found completely by accident), I have been told that my foot is in danger of fracture because cyst is compromising the structure of the foot. I am therefore due to have an operation in the New Year to remove the cyst and fill in the cavity with a bone graft from my hip. This seems rather scary and drastic to me and so I have a few questions and would be grateful if anyone could help me .

1) I've been told that the bone graft is likely to be more painful than the actual heel, has anyone had a bone graft? How painful are we talking here lol?

2) Apparently I won't be able to weight bear for up to 8 weeks. I will of course be on crutches but is it likely I will be in a plaster as well?

3) Like I said before, the cyst isn't really apparent or painful (although my foot can ache if I use it a lot) during my day to day living so I feel a bit anxious about going ahead with surgery. Might there be an alternative? Could just doing nothing be an option?

Obviously these are question I will ask my doctor when possible, but as Im on a long NHS waiting list, that may be a while. Would really love to hear any one who has had or is having a similar experience.

Many thanks and love to all.

Last edited by mod85; 12-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

Eliska HB User
Re: Bone cyst on calcaneus

CT scan attached. Sorry mods for posting a link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgy foot1.jpg (66.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
(male)

sniffer9 HB User

Just wondering how your surgery went. I am having a cyst / tumour removed from my ankle on Friday. I then have to wiat 3 months before I have the bone graft. Did you have the bone graft done at the same time as the cyst was removed?

Any other details on how your recovery went would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

brokenfrompain HB User

I'm not sure if you are ever going to read this, but I hope you do. I am 15 years old and I have an extremely large calcaneal bone cyst. Last year on November 14th, I woke up at 1am screaming in pain. I had no clue what was going on, so I crawled downstairs to take advil. Later that day, at school, the pain came back. I got up to ask to be excused, but my foot cracked and I fell. It didn't break, I'm lucky for that much. I went to my pediatrician and he said to stay on crutches for the day, it would most likely go away, as I have many health problems that com and go. by 4pm, I had to be carried to the car and rushed to hospital. In emergency, they took blood, but refused to take an x-ray, MRI, or CT scan. They told me there was no pain and I should just go home. So I did. The next morning, I couldn't move. My mother took me to urgent care and they finally took an x-ray. My heel bone was entirely hollow. I had fractured my foot because the cyst expanded too much and I would've shattered my foot had they not found it. I was on crutches for 6 months. At the hospital, they booked a surgery date for an open curettage. This was unsuccessful. 5 weeks ago, I went in for a bone graft. It was the most pain I had every felt before in my life, however the pain does not last long. Mine lasted a few days, then began to get lesser. The piece of my hip they needed was so large they had to drill it out, and I can feel it when I touch the skin over top of it. I was also told 8 weeks before I could walk, but I'm not patient with injuries. I began walking last week, only 4 weeks after the operation. Of course, they gave me the choice to not do the graft, but then my foot would shatter in a time span of less than a year. If that happened, I would lose my foot forever. I've never been more scared of anything in my entire life. Even now, I am waiting for the results of the operation. I go back in January, and even though there's less than a 5% chance it didn't work, I'm terrified. Because the cyst took over the bone, it is extremely likely that it comes back. It can come back at any time in my life, so quickly, that I can shatter my leg. I can become paralyzed all too easily, and at 15, you can imagine how that can effect me. Nobody here understands what its like to feel like to hear the words: chances are, you will never walk again. Though this story is long, I only wanted to say that you are not the only one out there with this problem. Every third person you pass by in a day has a cyst, just not one that grows to the extent where an operation is suggested. I hope your operation was successful and I just wanted to say that you are amazing. It takes great strength to be able to face something like this. No matter the severity, it is still a challenge.

Reply Reply