It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

twin mummy HB User
Unhappy spiral fracture broken ankle 3 weeks after surgery pain advice :(

hi all advice apprecitaed!
i gave myself a spiral fracture and had plates and screws on 16th december..i am getting really bad stinging is this normal? i am worried i may have knocked out stitches or something...i dont have a appointment for some time due to hospital mess up
just worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: spiral fracture broken ankle 3 weeks after surgery pain advice :(

A spiral fracture of the ankle will be very painful. Keep it elevated, put ice packs behind your knee to keep the swelling down, and take your prescribed medicine.

But if you think the pain is more than normal, do call the surgeon and ask. If something is out of place, better to know now than later. When is your next follow-up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
(female)

twin mummy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
A spiral fracture of the ankle will be very painful. Keep it elevated, put ice packs behind your knee to keep the swelling down, and take your prescribed medicine.

But if you think the pain is more than normal, do call the surgeon and ask. If something is out of place, better to know now than later. When is your next follow-up?
I go back this friday its more the stinging thats getting me..i have had so much trouble with the hospital already and they gave me some ibuprofen and asprin
how long would it take for the stitches to disolve...could they disolve to early ??
thankyou for th reply x

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You're in a cast, right? Then the cast would hold the incisions closed even if the stitches dissolved.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

ebarbara HB User

Hi - I had a spiral fracture as well. Mine happend on Nov. 13th and I have been through all of what you are speaking about. I had surgery for metal plates, pins and screws. The pain for the first few weeks after surgery was really bad. I was put in a fiberglass cast 2 weeks after surgery (that's when they removed the staples) The cast was on for 4 weeks (just got if off on Monday). I was on strong meds - much stronger than just advil. Discuss with your doctor or call and try to get a nurse to listen to your pain concerns. I know it hurts now, but I promise it gets better! Day by day, just a slow process that takes time...
Best of luck to you. Feel free to ask any other questions - I completely understand the need to reach out. I found a great friend on here to discuss back and forth with when my situation occured and it really does help

Feel better!
E

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
(female)

twin mummy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarbara View Post
Hi - I had a spiral fracture as well. Mine happend on Nov. 13th and I have been through all of what you are speaking about. I had surgery for metal plates, pins and screws. The pain for the first few weeks after surgery was really bad. I was put in a fiberglass cast 2 weeks after surgery (that's when they removed the staples) The cast was on for 4 weeks (just got if off on Monday). I was on strong meds - much stronger than just advil. Discuss with your doctor or call and try to get a nurse to listen to your pain concerns. I know it hurts now, but I promise it gets better! Day by day, just a slow process that takes time...
Best of luck to you. Feel free to ask any other questions - I completely understand the need to reach out. I found a great friend on here to discuss back and forth with when my situation occured and it really does help

Feel better!
E
thankyou !
got put in fiberglass 3 days after the operation and it gets changed tommorrow and i have to have it off 6 weeks after the op
its the scar thats my main worry the stitches are disolvable and worried they have burst or something...must admit the pain is less today
((hug))

Reply Reply

Tags
fracture ankle break stitches pain