It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

guinivere HB User
4 months post calcaneus-cuboid ORIF

I am 4 months post op from severe comminuted calcaneus fracture. I had 6 hours of surgery. I have a plate, 8 screws, and 3 pins. My recuperation has actually been outstanding. I have been in a shoe for a few weeks. Oftentimes I do still wear the boot. It seems to give me less pain and swelling than the shoe. My doctor does prefer that I wear the shoe. When I do, I have severe night time pain. When I go barefoot, the pain is not so bad but the swelling is most awful. I get a baseball size area on the ankle, the top of the foot swells, the inside of the ankle swells, and the arch area swells down. My doc says that the hardware is on the nerve and that is why I get the pain. She is going to operate next month (april) to take out as much of the hardware as she can get out. She prefers to get it all out. I am wondering if anyone has ever noticed that when the foot is allowed to swell (like being barefoot) the pain seems actually less than when the foot is constricted (in the shoe) and there is no room for the swelling. I obviously cannot wear the boot for the rest of my life. My shoe is a great high dollar tennis shoe that fits very well. The swelling seems to start right around the area that the top of the shoe reaches and swells over the shoe. I am a person that tolerates pain very well. I would appreciate anyones input.

The following user gives a hug of support to guinivere:
MountainReader (03-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
(female)

deege HB User
Re: 4 months post calcaneus-cuboid ORIF

Hi,

I have no cartilage between my calcaneo and my navicular bones, a complication from a childhood operation. Over the years the bones have been wearing each other away, so I will eventually end up having to have a similar operation to the one you have just been through.

It is really great to hear you've had such a great recovery so far, well done! You're giving me hope for the future.

I've been managing pain and swelling in that area for a couple of years now, which is not quiet as acute as yours, but it is fairly constant problem for me.

I find the absolutely most important thing for me is sleep. Sleep, for me, is more important than any pain killer. My pain is so much easier to handle when I've had enough sleep, and when it is really bad the best thing for me to do is just to go to bed early (with some pain killers if I really need them) and sleep it off.

I have custom made orthotics to support my foot and they make a huge difference with my day to day pain management. Your foot is probably still changing a bit as it heals, but I strongly recommend you look into getting properly scanned and fitted for custom orthotics when you can. It will make a huge difference. It is the opposite to being barefoot, but it is really worth trying when you're ready for them.

My swelling is not as bad as yours, but I do have some swelling. I think restricting the swelling too much is not good, which is why you probably feel better barefoot.

Thanks for your post, it has helped me out a lot. I look forward to hearing more of your progress.

Thanks,

D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply