It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

CKeena HB User
Pectis Excacatum - in 14 yr old son

Can anyone tell me if they have used a brace of some sort to correct a dip in chest or what is called pectus excavatum? My 14 year old boy has one side of his breast bone growing out more than the left - plays lacrosse but wants to know if this is a dangerous condition. Also, if there is a brace to be used to correct it, would he be able to still play lacrosse?

Thanks for your input.

--Julia Keena

Last edited by CKeena; 04-01-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error in condition. Should be excavatum

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
(female)

Danzi HB User
Smile Re: Pectis Excacatum - in 14 yr old son

My nephew has pectis excavatum. He had surgery to correct his when he was 16 years old with very good success. He had asthma and this has relieved his asthmaatic symptoms greatly. I do not know that he was ever offered any brace for his chest. As a matter of fact he had been to many doctors before anyone recognized it as anything other than cosmetic. He did not have more symptoms on one side or the other. I would find a doctor that would do surgery on him when he's done growing. Not only does it help physically by giving the heart, lungs and diaphragm more room - it does help self esteem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pectis Excacatum - in 14 yr old son

They install a brace to force the ribcage back out and it has to be removed later when the bones have moved properly. He should be able to play lacrosse after the entire procedure is done but not while the brace is in place. A friend's son had this done at the Childrens Hospital in Norfolk, VA where the doctor is that invented the procedure. He is 18 now, graduating from hs and plays lacrosse and rugby.

Reply Reply