It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
(female)

SkyBlue99 HB User
Unhappy Recently developed clicky thumb. Will I get arthritis?

Is it an old wives' tale that having clicky fingers means that you are predisposed to arthritis when you're older?

I use my netbook a lot, and I think that as a result, it has changed my right thumb causing it to click after I straighten out my thumb.

I am sure that it is a result of the way I type when using the keyboard: Almost all of my fingers are spread out when I type, except for my right thumb (which is curled as I type - I probably do this because the keyboard for a netbook is quite small, so I curl my right thumb so that almost all fingers [9] have enough room on the keyboard as I type). When I stop typing and pause for a second, that is the only moment when my right thumb becomes straight, and when I straighten my thumb, it clicks.

This making me feel uncomfortable. As a child, I remember people joking around and showing how they could make their finger joints make noise, and I always remember my mum and other people tutting, saying words to the effect of "Dont do that! You will give yourself arthritis when you're older".

I dont know the correct medical term for this and I've looked online, so I apologise in advance for my ignorance.

Should I go and see my doctor? Im still young(ish!). Im 27 and don't want to get arthritis when I'm older.

All input is appreciated.

Last edited by SkyBlue99; 04-19-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Recently developed clicky thumb. Will I get arthritis?

Cracking or clicking your joints does not cause arthritis. It's normal to have joints make noise sometimes, especially when you are moving it for the first time in a while.

If you have pain or difficulty moving the joint, then get it checked out.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
SkyBlue99 (04-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
(female)

SkyBlue99 HB User
Re: Recently developed clicky thumb. Will I get arthritis?

Thanks for the quick reply

I don't have any pain. Thanks for pointing out what I need to look out for! That made me feel a bit more at ease

I'm worried in case if it could be Repetitive Strain Injury...

Reply Reply