This is a first for me. I am 63 years old and have been blessed that I have only broken a finger and two ribs in my life. I missed three steps on a flight of stairs and broke my left ankle in three places - fibular twice and fractured my tibial. I had surgery six days after the accident with a plate and several screws placed in it. The doctor placed a surgical cast on it and told me that it could be up to three months before I can walk fully on it. (I am going nuts!"
Went back to see him this past Wednesday. He took out the stitches and placed me in an air boot. Told me to come back in six weeks (that will be eight weeks from surgery) and if I had progressed like the last two I could begin to place 25-50% wb on it. How do you place 25% weight on your foot?!
I have up unto this point had very little pain - UNTIL the first night with the boot. Woke up in the most pain and had to take a pain pill - hadn't done that since five days after the surgery. Anyway, experienced another of waking up in pain so I removed the splint portion of the boot, loosened it a bit, kept my foot propped up and went back to sleep. My doctor said I could remove it for bathing and while I sitting to air it out and begin slowly to excersie it. He even said that I can sleep without it in two weeks. Don't know about that. The idea sounds wonderful but the reality may not be.
Anyway, my air boot is by Ossur and my question is am I hurting my healing by keeping the splint off (secured otherwise) but the boot on when I am not up and about? I'm in full armour when ever I am up or moving around.
25% weight bearing means that you are still using crutches, but the bad foot is on the ground. About 25% of your weight is on the foot and the other 75% is on the crutches. Then, as your ankle heals, you gradually increase the amount of pressure that you put on the bad foot.
Removing your boot while sitting down is OK, but I wouldn't do it while sleeping yet, because you might roll over. Did he tell you what kinds of exercises you can safely do? The first one I was given when recovering from a different ankle surgery was to flex my foot up and down, just to get it used to moving again.
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post: oppy (05-05-2012)
Yes, he told me to begin moving it as I can. I am not going to remove the boot while sleeping probably for a little while - just the splint which pushes on major sore points. I am still sleeping with my foot elevated above my heart.
I long for the day that I can get up and dust!!! Isn't that bad?!!! LOL
My sweet husband is 80 years old and my primary care giver, but I don't want to ask him to do those things - he has enough steppin' and fetchin'!
I never could get stable on the crutches so I have walker with rollers on it and a knee walker for longer distance in the house. Still in a wheel chair away from home. I hope I will be able to be mobile by the end of three months - even with the boot on.
You were so gracious to respond to me yesterday! Thank you, again. When you said to slowly begin to exercise my ankle up and down did you mean like putting your foot on a pedal then raising it off of it, like driving. I sat today with both feet side by side and I was able to move the hurt one down a little and up a little without pain. If I do that every day will it help when I begin to walk or am I rushing things?