It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

BrettDaniels HB User
Osteochondroma on back of femur

Ok, so I am 16 years old and am an amateur bodybuilder and I have noticed an imbalance in my legs lately so Ive been trying to find out the cause and I think i finally settled on it. Last year I had felt this big lump on the backside of my leg right above the knee, mainly found this from doing martial arts and noticed whenever there was pressure above and behind my knee (like in any foot lock) on my right leg it would hurt, also sometimes when i ran I would feel some impingement and something sliding over the lump. So I asked my doctor, and had some nurses do an ultra sound. They didn't see anything and said there was nothing until one of the better nurses did it and acknowledged there was something there. So i got an Xray and found out I had an osteochondroma on the posterior aspect of my distal femur. It had never caused my much pain, only minor discomfort so I didnt really care about getting it removed as it seemed unnecessary at the time. But lately my leg imbalance has become more so that I thought I would try and find the root cause, so I did some quick tests on my self. Stood up, lined up my feet so they were symmetrically positioned, locked out both knees (naturally not forcefully), and noticed my right knee was forward about an inch or so. From that I realized that the osteochondroma is preventing a natural full extension in my right leg. Some people might say if it doesnt hurt why bother getting it removed, but for me, bodybuilding is my life. I intend on making a career out of it and having something that prevents a full extension of my right leg will lead to problems down the line, and already has with a significant imbalance. So I am going to inquire about getting it removed, I think its about 2-3cm? I was wondering some things like if I am older enough to get it removed, whats to be expected after the surgery, how long the recovery time, ect. Just want to get as much info as possible. Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
(male)

BrettDaniels HB User
Re: Osteochondroma on back of femur

Anyone? I would really appreciate some information

Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

bach793 HB User

Hi-
Saw your post and couldn't help but reply. I am not an expert in any regard, but I too have discovered an osteochondroma. Mine is on my shoulder blade and makes it so my arm is shorter than the other. I will have the surgery in the next few days.

So I can't tell you much about the actual surgery, but I do suggest you get it removed. Considering how active you are and that it's already disturbing you, I say that you push to get it removed. You don't want it to cause anymore problems. And yes you're old enough to get it removed, I'm 15

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to bach793 For This Useful Post:
BrettDaniels (05-28-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Both my husband and my daughter had tumors on their fingers. Eventually they both has surgery due to the fact that the tumor had eaten the joint away and their fingers broke.

There has been some research done regarding the familial aspect of these tumors. Also the daughter of my friend had one break in her shoulder while playing baseball and she too had to have surgery. My husband now has bump in his elbow and he will have to have it checked out. Make sure the tumor is checked regularly.

Reply Reply