It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

brendasw HB User
help me/ MRI report (bone bruise talus + sprain)

I stepped off a wide step and onto my daughter's sneaker (which she mysteriously walked out of for the first time ever!) rolled my ankle. An ankle that I tore three ligaments in four yrs ago.
ER, no break. On crutches had MRI. Went into walking boot while waiting for results.

Results of MRI showed bone bruise of talus and small ligament tear. That is what orth surgeon told me. Have to stay on the crutches for three more weeks and see him again to decide whats next.

Then I got a copy of MRI report which says:
small focus edema posterolateral talar and very small edema posterior medial talar, NO cortical depression, overlying chondral surface preserved.
+deltoid ligament grade one sprain
+sprain of AT lig

so all that sounded OK to me....I've been RICE like crazy

but then later on it says 'findings are consistent with osteochondral lesions without associated cortical depression".

when I google "osteoch. lesions" that is when I get scared.

Please give me some hope. I will do whatever I have to do to get myself back to 100%. My ligament tears (4 yrs ago) healed beautifully after lots of rest and aggressive pt. I ran a half-marathon two weeks before this new injury and I am so so so upset I hurt myself again.
I have two young children so the crutches thing is so difficult but I am managing to keep off the foot.

Thanks for reading- sorry so long,
Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

sophia554 HB Usersophia554 HB User
Re: help me/ MRI report (bone bruise talus + sprain)

I didn't see any replies to your post; I am sorry you are waiting so long for some support. Another injury is really depressing; especially when you know how much work it took you to recover the last time. I hope that you are feeling much better now that you have had another month or so of RICE. Is the pain significantly reduced? Have you gotten some further explanation from the doc's regarding their interpretation of the lesions on the MRI and what THEY think should be done about it? MANY cases are non-surgical, and since you are such a compliant patient, I could see that you may be having good success with continued RICE and PT.
The good news is that no matter what, ankle surgery has come a long way. Even though it is a long and painful process on a weight bearing joint, our ankles are poorly designed and surgery can eventually make you much stronger and less prone to injury in the long run.
I have a very damaged ankle and I wish I could have surgery that would stabilize it or diminish the pain but my condition causes amplified reactions to injury and a surgery on that scale would ruin me...
I hope very much that by now you are looking back on the injury from last month and are no longer suffering. If you are still on crutches or will need to use them again for a surgery, I recommend checking out mobilegs. They can significantly reduce the wear and tear in your back, shoulders, arms, wrists, hands- while offering improved stability and maneuverability. I have been using crutches as needed for 9 years and consistently for 3. I recently switched over to this new style because I was experiencing severe shoulder pain. You may not have any problem with the regular style at all but I figured it could be good to know.
Best of luck- hope you are all better now & let me know if I can be of any help

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-26-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Reply Reply