It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
(male)

wilsonj1037 HB User
Unhappy Surgery gone wrong? Distal Radius Fracture

Hi everyone, this is my first post ever on a message board. I hope someone can help me decide what to do. I fell recently on my right(dominent) hand and suffered a Distal radial fracture. I went to the ER and they attempted to put it back together straight but could not so i was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Luckily i got in the very next day. The Dr. suggested that i undergo an open reduction/internal fixation to repair the bone due to my youthfulness and athletic endeavors. I had surgery(Distall Radius fracture- Open reduction w/internal fixation) on my wrist 5/22/12. A block was used on the arm as well as anesthesia. 12hrs post op I experienced severe pains for 12+hrs until the office opened an i could ask the Dr what it was. He said it was just a bad reaction to the block. After removing the original cast/splint i felt immediate pressure relief. the pain persisted for about 4 days until i got it under control. My next checkup was 2 weeks, missing this, I got in at three weeks... He kept saying how good it looked, how straight it was, but ignorded the fact that I have no range of motion in my wrist, thumb and fingers. *I had 0 complications with my right hand/wrist/arm prior to this surgery* as of 6/13 I try to move them in a normal range of motion an only acheive about 15% movement. It has been 3 1/2 weeks now almost 4 and i only seem to have about 15% movement in all joints/flexing/twisting/rotating/extending. The tendons will not move as if they are locked at the location of the plate... My hand and wrist are still really enflamed and swollen despite elevation and ice. I typed all this with one hand because i have no functionality in my right, sorryI have great fear this will be permanent if i dont get to the right medical care on this. Im researching it now but this is not normal. Any questions or suggestions?

These are my suspictions on what may be wrong...
I suspect that the pronator quadratus was not laid back over the plate during implantation. also the brachioradialis and periosteum must be raised to access the volor surface of radius. Can these be put back wrong and cause this problem?
I suspect the median nerve has been damaged/moved.
I suspect a rupture of the flexor tendon and/or entensor tendon and or the digitis tendons.(osseous complications).
I suspect carpal tunnel syndrome developed as a result of the ignorged inflamation an may require decompression.
I seem to have signs of CRPS(complex regional pain syndrome).
On my X-ray post op 2 weeks, i noticed a locking screw on the lateral portion of volar plate protruding through the watershed line and into a bone of the wrist.... wont this lock my wrist?
I cannot fully extend any of my fingers or thumb without pain and restriction. I cannot rotate or twist my wrist more than 10% normal ratations.

Help

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

missliz HB User
Re: Surgery gone wrong? Distal Radius Fracture

just read your post and i have the same problem as you dont know if you have seen it but the advise i was given is to get a second opinion well away from the hospital you were treated in , this it what i am going to do . I broke my wrist last nov swelling never went away or pain had a k wire fix first that didnt work i had no choice but to have the internal fixation , i have no rotation ,frozen shoulder and mild crps type 2 . concultants say nothing wrong with the xrays but i know they not very good pics i need mri. they keep giving me tablets for pain . now i have found this forum i dont feel so alone and i am going to fight for the truth .please let me know how you get on missliz

The following user gives a hug of support to missliz:
MountainReader (08-19-2012)
Reply Reply