It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

slynch HB User
Shattered Heel

Hi.

I shattered my right heel falling off a rock climbing wall in April. In a few days it will be almost eight months. I've been working incredibly hard to improve and am hoping there might be a day I can run again. Anyone else out there with broken heels? Does it get better enough to run? Or do I get used to the fact that budgeting my time on how much I can handle a day is going to be something I have to do the rest of my life.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
(female)

Erocks1 HB User
Re: Shattered Heel

I just shattered my right heel and had surgery with plate and 9 screws on the 28th of nov...I would love to hear replies to your question as I enjoy running as well. My accident was from snowboarding/large jump...crushed heel on knuckle of the landing. Are you at least able to walk good at this point?...eight months down your road of recovery? Any advice from you slynch I would appreciate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

slynch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erocks1 View Post
I just shattered my right heel and had surgery with plate and 9 screws on the 28th of nov...I would love to hear replies to your question as I enjoy running as well. My accident was from snowboarding/large jump...crushed heel on knuckle of the landing. Are you at least able to walk good at this point?...eight months down your road of recovery? Any advice from you slynch I would appreciate
I know how the surgery feels, 3 plates and eight screws. I found a piece of my bone stuck in my cast after surgery and I keep it as a reminder of how bad it was in the beginning.

I finished physical therapy last week finally. I walk with a slight limp but I don't have to use a cane anymore. The hardest thing with this injury is time and time makes you realize how much damage you actually did. Listen to the doctor, do not at all try to push yourself too early. I did and I had a blood clot by the surgical line, the sucker reopened and I had to wait until it closed and watch for infections before I could do anything.

It's going to take a awhile for you to walk. I remember my first day trying with the boot and I fell on my face ripping off the oven door because I grabbed it to catch my fall. So have patience. Also manage your time. In the beginning it's going to be hard for you to do activities longer than 3 or 4 hours and then, for me atleast, I was in so much pain I had to stop. But elevating your foot as much as possible, it helps and makes a world of difference.

Be creative. In late August I knew I was heading back up to school and I couldn't handle walking more than fifteen minutes at that point. But I wanted to still go to classes, I wasn't going to let some stupid thing like that prevent me from graduating so I brought my bike and I rode that around campus. It hurts at first but I got used to the mindset everything hurts, you just have to find the way that will take the least amount of time so you can elevate later.

From what I read and what my doc told me, it's about a year recover. A year is a very long frustrating amount of time. I kept a journal to write down my frustrations, it helps when you wake up in blistering pain or after having a war in the bathroom just to do basic things.

I'm hoping for replies too. Give that boost of motivation and see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow and I'm going to ask her what i need to do. I'll let you know.

Good luck. You have a tough road Erocks, but it gets better. It's just slow as a snail to do so. If you ever need someone to talk to or you have further questions, definately will respond to them

Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

Erocks1 HB User

Thank you so much for your response. I randomly start crying in frustration in realizing this is going to be a tough year ahead. I will get creative and get back to painting which I haven't done in some time...I gonna focus on the positive as much as I can. The burning sensation and jolts are difficult and setting alarm at night every 3 hoursbto take pills for pain makes it hard to sleep. Sometimes I think this happened for a reason and reconnect with family and recognize who is really close to me and I can depend on for help. I have always been the independent one and to help others and now I have to give that up and focus on me which is a huge challenge in itself.
I can't believe you had a piece of bone in cast! How did the doc not see that..or did it come out after surgery somehow? 3 plates is crazy...it's good to hear you are being so strong and it helps give me strength to not get myself in a pity party. I get stitches out on the 11th and I think they will put a cast on, not sure yet. Right now it's in splint that is to stay on at all times. The burning is constant though ugghhh.
Thank you and good luck today!

The following user gives a hug of support to Erocks1:
slynch (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

slynch HB User

Oh god, that brings me back. I cried a lot too. It's miserable and it's incredibly hard for others to understand. I completely understand the independancy thing. It is very hard to feel that vulnerable and that dependant to do basic necessities. The three hour time very familiar. It doesn't take the pain away but the drugs make you too tired to care about it. I can tell you the burning goes away, not immediately but slowly. Pain doesn't, but it's nothing compared to feeling like your bone is on fire. You will learn who your real friends are during this entire experience. You'll probably find out things you don't want to find out or discover things you were so sure about were actually wrong.

Netflix is by far the best thing when you're on bed rest. I know this is easier said than done but try not to focus on the pain and what you can't do. All those hours bed rest and like this, the mind goes down deep and dark rabbit holes. Getting the stitches out is great, but still stay off of it for awhile, the skin is sensitive and if it reopens you have to watch out for infections and that's just not fun at all.

I think when they washed my leg after surgery, a piece they took out was on the sponge, got on my leg and they rapped the cast around it. It's a cool memento. But trust me I was a mess for awhile. I broke down once because i couldn't open a door. Its good to cry, sometimes makes you feel better. It's a horrible process. You're strong. Just think one day at a time.

Reply Reply