It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

4evadiamondz HB User
On walking cast now. How do I use it properly?

Hello eveyone!

Six weeks ago, I tripped over some fence wiring and landed in an awkward position, and ended up with a bimalleolar fracture on my left ankle. I was in a plaster cast for a week before switching to a fiberglass one, and I recently got that one off as well in the fifth week. I thought it would be healed by then since the pain is mostly gone, but from the X ray, it seems to be only halfway there.

The doc put me on a walking cast to be used with the crutches and told me that I can take it off when I'm showering, and the guy selling the cast at the pharmacy told me it should be safe to take it off when I'm going to bed.

I still can't put most of my weight on my ankle to walk, which is fine since I won't need to go outside for some time. But I'm wondering if I had been using the walking cast right.

For one, I can't seem to tell if the cast is tight enough. The first time I took my cast off for a shower, there were bruises all over my foot, even on the sole. I loosened the cast after that, but the injured area seemed to hurt more.

Also, the time in which I spent out of the walking cast is more than the time I spent with the cast on. As long as I keep it off the ground, is this dangerous for the ankle?

Finally, can anyone tell me when do you think I will be able to walk again at this rate? Rough guesses would be fine, I just need some assurance. The doc estimated that I'll be ready for physiotherapy in January, and I really want to know if I could be fit for travelling by then.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
ankle injury, physiotherapy, walking cast