Long story but advice needed.
I am in need of some advice!
3 years ago I had a nasty fall, where I dislocated my knee, and ended up with a "high ankle sprain" I went to the Orthopedic who recomended a lateral release and meniscus clean up on my knee -did the surgery.
NOW, (I hate to sound like I am talking bad about the Dr.) he told me its "just a high ankle sprain you will be fine" Right? all he did was put an ace wrap on it and send me on my way. I went back about 3 weeks later for a post op check on the knee.. Mentioned my ankle to him AGAIN. He gives me a stirrup splint and says its fine?
I really feel as if he would not listen to me. He never did X-rays on the ankle, and barely even acknowleged any conversation about it. even when my hubby asked. Dr was just concerned about my knee.
Fast forward 3 years
Found out that the lateral release of my knee failed. SO still have knee pain, but nothing I cant handle. BUT on the other hand, I have resprained my ankle at least 8 times in the last 3 years... 4 or 5 of which made it so I could no walk. I never went back to that ortho after he released me from knee surgery.
I finally broke down and went and say a podiatrist who says that I have "chronic akle instability" Found out that My insurance will NOt pay for PT unless I have a reconstruction. So he sends me to an ortho at the office who did my knee. i dont want to go back to that clinic. I dont feel like they listened to me at all last time around.
I have made an appointment with anothe ortho who has good reviews so far here in town, I have to wait till the 28 of feb..
Ok so here is my question.
I bought a wobble board like DR. said, and have been trying an at home PT program. My right ankle is doing well, but my left (the one that I hurt in the fall) is not I wobble when I try and stand on my left ankle (you know the one leg stance) and when I try and go up on my toes my ankle will either roll in or out. I fall everytime. I have been in horrible pain since the last sprain, around sept. and rolled my ankle again about the begining of Jan. I have been wearing either a lace up brace, or a stirrup since then because I feel like my ankle is just not dependable.
IMO I think that conservative treatment has failed and just want this to be overwith. I want to go back to running, softball and tennis... should I Push the new ortho for surgery since My insurance will not pay for PT unless I have a reconstruction?