It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bone Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
(male)

mitchrapp HB User
Wink fractured calcaneus

Hello:
Fell from a height of 11 feet and broke my heel bone. I am in a cast and just recently had an mri and the doctor wants to see me next week about the results and surgery. I am not in much pain (It has been 8 days since break and trip to the ER in an ambulance ,very painful then, for regular xrays) xrays showed a broken heal, to what extent is a question mark at present. Pain subsided by day 3, however much swelling and leg is up and in a cast by the bone doctor.
Bone doctor did not discuss MRI YET as wants me present and not on phone.
She does indicate surgery. Question. If I follow the protocol of no weight bearing for 3 monhs, and since I am in no pain, can move all of my toes without any pain,, should I even consider surgery? I hate being idle, however, I just retired, so what the heck. Otherwise, I am very active outside, cutting and splitting wood, etc. I will kinow more after I visit doctor tomorrow, however, after reading old post on a broken heel, I do not envy those who opted for an operation. Appreciate your emails or comments to me mitchrapp.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

wendy52 HB Userwendy52 HB Userwendy52 HB User
Re: fractured calcaneus

So sorry to hear of your accident. I did not have surgery due to having no medical insurance. However it took 7 months to heal and 2 months of PT. I was in excrutiating pain for the first month. Even having to go back to the hospital due to so much pain. All bone fractures are different, and your heal can be broken in many different places. Surgery is not always the best, it depends on the break and if your foot has shifted. The best news is that it will eventually heal and you will be able to do what you did before. I know I felt like I would never be able to walk again so I appreciate ever step I can take now. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
(male)

mitchrapp HB User
Re: fractured calcaneus

Dear Wendy:
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am only ino my 2nd week. I awake in the night often with my foot aching, however I feel I am blessed that its ok, propped up during the day. Sounds like you may have had a break in many places, however I am no doctor. It is just that, my heel has been through so much, along with my (our) body, with this, that I do not wish to add to that traumatic stress with surgery. I believe too many doctors are so conventional, do not think out of the box, thus, surgery becomes standard procedure in the majority of cases. I am so glad you wrote, as I had almost impossible time finding anyone without having surgery for this, thus backing up my theory on operations. In fact, you are the only one that has answered my new post thus far. Any tips you can give me would be soooo much appreciated. I just retired, so now, only have medicare, using it for the first time. I have no supplementary, thus will pay up front a co pay and then I believe 20 percent. The ER alone will be a fortune, along with the ambulance. I had to crawl into the house. Cannot remember having worse pain than this. How did you fall? I fell off my deck, 11 feet high, working on it. The pain in both heels was excruciating, however thankfully the left heel is bruised, not broken. Much of its pain is gone, however I cannot apply weight to that heel either at present as it hurts too much when I do. My first week, I was going nuts, being laid up as I love outdoors or keeping busy, however I am trying to think of things to do inside now (hobbies?). Any suggestions in healing appreciated, and again, thank you so much for caring. I hope you can do all that you used to do. God bless, Mike PS I shall forever symphatize with people in cast from this day forward.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
(female)

wendy52 HB Userwendy52 HB Userwendy52 HB User
Wink Re: fractured calcaneus

Dear Mike,
It will be 2 years this spring since my heel break. Yes, I can do everything I use to. During damp weather though it pains a little, maybe arthritis. My foot is also a little bigger now so I always wear wide shoes that are comfortable and padded (no more high heels for me). I fell off a ladder in my garage trying to put things away in the crawl space above the garage. I had a large box in one hand and was going up the ladder with the other hand. Not smart. I shattered the heal and broke my foot in half. I also fell on my back and badly bruise my backbone which hurt for several weeks. I am still afraid of going up a ladder. Since I work part-time I worked with the hospital and due to my low income the bill was completely covered. The doctor agreed to just take $75 for each visit. Also hospitals will work with you on making a payment plan. I am glad they did not operate. However it took long to heal because I had a Vitamin D deficiency which is normal in older people. I had to take large doses of prescribed Vitamin D and the doctor gave me a Bone Stimulator machine for free. You put it on your foot twice a day and it gives electrical charges which stimulates bone healing. Of course sitting all day was the hardest. I too am use to being up and on my feet all day at work. Luckily I was taking on-line college classes which helped passed alot of my time. Also reading or watching a lot of old movies helped. They usually say a heal break takes 3 months to heal. You also may need PT but you can also do it at home. I had never broken a bone in my entire life and this was the worst bone to break. Keep it elevated when you can. They replace the cast twice and then put you in a boot which you can take off at night. I now have more sympathy for people in casts and I appreciate the simple act of walking every day now. Speedy healing, Wendy

Reply Reply