It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 03:38 PM   #1

DaveinCt HB User
Question Post Colonoscopy Nausea

Hi All:

Had my colonoscopy done today. Results were good However, I've had nausea all day since I got home. Wondering if any of you experienced this as a sideeffect of the anesthesia (in my case Demerol/Versed) and how long it took to subside?

Thx,
Dave

Old 11-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
Hi Dave

I had my first colonoscopy on Monday. Everything went great for me. I got to use Fleet phospho soda, which is like drinking Alka Seltzer. Glad I didn't have to drink a gallon of that nasty stuff. The demerol and versed treated me very well. I remember getting the demerol and being taken into the procedure room--and then I woke up back in recovery, feeling fine. I was planning on watching the procedure, but that's okay. I think that some do get nauseous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Hi,

Glad to hear your results from the colonoscopy were good.

I've had 5 colonoscopies in the past 15 years. I always drank the gallon of Go-Lyte or other brand name until the last one. I had the Fleet phospho soda and it just about made me puke. The whole process -- light eating, liquids only, etc made me shake so bad and feel very nauseated. I can't go that long without food. The Fleet has the grossest taste (I can still imagine the taste), and the after effects of nausea were not so good. I could barely take down the second bottle.

I am always awake for the procedure (must watch the monitor), and the drugs were the same as I had the time before. The nausea was the same as was prior to the procedure, and when I was out for breakfast (which I always do), I couldn't even eat much. I was nauseated the entire day and slightly into the next day. Gravol was very helpful.

That was the longest colonoscopy process I've ever been through, I'd take the Go-Lyte any day. At least I can eat the day of the purge. I won't do the Fleet again, ever

So, your problem could be the drugs or the Fleet. If you're at home not doing anything strenuous, take Gravol which will help take off the edge of the nausea.

I do hope you feel better soon.
Please let us know the results from the biopsies. I hope everything is all clear.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 11-14-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
The doctor called today and said that the one small polyp he removed was benign and I should have the procedure again in five years.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #5

shellybaby HB User
Wow when I get my colonscopys done they ALWAYS put me under, I can't imagine being awake that must be one of the most painful procedures. Oh another thing when I get my colonscopy (once every 3 months) I ask for the pills, they are much easier IF you are good at taking pills.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
shellbaby....wow, you get one every 3 months!! OMG!! If it's not too forward to ask....why do you need them that often?

JacquelineL... what a relief that the polyp was benign. I'm sure you won't have any problems waiting the 5 years till your next one ;-)

Best to you both,
quincy

Old 11-14-2003, 01:16 PM   #7

litroy HB User
I vomitted last time after a full sedation, so i guess if you were on a all liquid or no food diet, it's normal to feel nausea after anesthesia. Wish you luck...

Old 11-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #8

bratinpain HB User
Pills??????? did not know about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litroy
I vomitted last time after a full sedation, so i guess if you were on a all liquid or no food diet, it's normal to feel nausea after anesthesia. Wish you luck...
What pills are u referring to? And what are they called cause i will have to have a colonoscopy soon im sure!
Julie

Closed Thread