It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Floaters??

I am wondering what causes a bowel movement to "float" in the toilet? Is it considered a bowel disorder? Mine didn't use to float and I've noticed in the past 4 days, that they do. Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
Inactive

hwbe HB User
Re: Floaters??

I've read somewhere that if it floats it means there's enough fibre in your diet, otherwise it sinks. So I guess there's nothing to worry about

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwbe
I've read somewhere that if it floats it means there's enough fibre in your diet, otherwise it sinks. So I guess there's nothing to worry about

Hmmm... I haven't heard that...suppose it makes some sense.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I am wondering what causes a bowel movement to "float" in the toilet? Is it considered a bowel disorder? Mine didn't use to float and I've noticed in the past 4 days, that they do. Anyone else experience this?
They usually float if you eat a high fat diet. I have never heard (well never read in the literature) of a floating stool being related to high fiber...only to fats.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernier
They usually float if you eat a high fat diet. I have never heard (well never read in the literature) of a floating stool being related to high fiber...only to fats.
So....nothing serious?

Old 12-09-2003, 04:48 PM   #6

fudd HB User

It depends - how frequently does this happen? How long after meals do you have these types of bowel movements? Would you characterize your stool as diarrhea?

Quote:
So....nothing serious?

Old 12-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudd
It depends - how frequently does this happen? How long after meals do you have these types of bowel movements? Would you characterize your stool as diarrhea?
f
No, not diarrhea. I just noticed that within the past few days that I had the floater thing going on. We did just get back from vacation which I did eat alot fried and fatty foods. Maybe that's why???

Old 12-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #8

fudd HB User

Yep, too much fat. When people have chronic cases of floating stool and diarrhea, it usually indicates some sort of a fat malabsorption problem or pancreatic insufficiency (can't break down fat). This sounds to me like you just ate a lot of fatty food. If this continues for more than a week or so (and if you're now back to a regular diet), be sure to see your doctor.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Too much fat is not the only reason, though. The amount of fiber one eats, the general density of the waste once it is processed by the body, and the amount of air that the body works into the feces all contribute. Floating is NOT a firm indicator that something is wrong. (That is according to a gastroenterologist that posts on another site.)

Now, in alternate medicine circles, some people believe floaters (coming from a good diet [generally meaning vegetarian, in this case]) indicate excellent health and are very desirable.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Too much fat is not the only reason, though. The amount of fiber one eats, the general density of the waste once it is processed by the body, and the amount of air that the body works into the feces all contribute. Floating is NOT a firm indicator that something is wrong. (That is according to a gastroenterologist that posts on another site.)

Now, in alternate medicine circles, some people believe floaters (coming from a good diet [generally meaning vegetarian, in this case]) indicate excellent health and are very desirable.
Wow! Lots of different opinions!

Old 12-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Here's some summary info on various stools.

[url]http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm[/url]

Old 12-12-2003, 09:30 PM   #12

gillian30 HB User

The only time I ever read that floating stools are a concern is in relation to the disease I have, which is Celiac Disease. It's a disease of malabsorbsion, and can cause floating stool.

Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #13

lindsee HB User
Question Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernier

I've also been told that if you eat a diet high in saturated fats this will cause your stool to float, (it would seem to make it heavier and sink)but a lot of people believe that a diet high in fiber will cause the stool to float, well, in my case this is not true, I consume a large amount of fiber everyday and my stools quickly disappear!!Who knows?

Old 12-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsee
I've also been told that if you eat a diet high in saturated fats this will cause your stool to float, (it would seem to make it heavier and sink)but a lot of people believe that a diet high in fiber will cause the stool to float, well, in my case this is not true, I consume a large amount of fiber everyday and my stools quickly disappear!!Who knows?

Everyone has different theories

Old 12-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #15
(female)

MissyPrincess HB User

Quote:
I've read on a few board and sites that discuss parasite cleaning, that floating bowels are good. It has less "bad stuff" in it causing it to sink. A holistic docter would be the best person to discuss this issue.

Closed Thread