It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Floaters??

I am wondering what causes a bowel movement to "float" in the toilet? Is it considered a bowel disorder? Mine didn't use to float and I've noticed in the past 4 days, that they do. Anyone else experience this?

 
Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 32
hwbe HB User
Re: Floaters??

I've read somewhere that if it floats it means there's enough fibre in your diet, otherwise it sinks. So I guess there's nothing to worry about

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwbe
I've read somewhere that if it floats it means there's enough fibre in your diet, otherwise it sinks. So I guess there's nothing to worry about

Hmmm... I haven't heard that...suppose it makes some sense.

 
Old 12-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 861
CobaltBlue HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I am wondering what causes a bowel movement to "float" in the toilet? Is it considered a bowel disorder? Mine didn't use to float and I've noticed in the past 4 days, that they do. Anyone else experience this?
They usually float if you eat a high fat diet. I have never heard (well never read in the literature) of a floating stool being related to high fiber...only to fats.

 
Old 12-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernier
They usually float if you eat a high fat diet. I have never heard (well never read in the literature) of a floating stool being related to high fiber...only to fats.
So....nothing serious?

 
Old 12-09-2003, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 118
fudd HB User
Re: Floaters??

It depends - how frequently does this happen? How long after meals do you have these types of bowel movements? Would you characterize your stool as diarrhea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
So....nothing serious?

 
Old 12-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudd
It depends - how frequently does this happen? How long after meals do you have these types of bowel movements? Would you characterize your stool as diarrhea?
f
No, not diarrhea. I just noticed that within the past few days that I had the floater thing going on. We did just get back from vacation which I did eat alot fried and fatty foods. Maybe that's why???

 
Old 12-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 118
fudd HB User
Re: Floaters??

Yep, too much fat. When people have chronic cases of floating stool and diarrhea, it usually indicates some sort of a fat malabsorption problem or pancreatic insufficiency (can't break down fat). This sounds to me like you just ate a lot of fatty food. If this continues for more than a week or so (and if you're now back to a regular diet), be sure to see your doctor.

 
Old 12-10-2003, 06:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,383
auntjudyg HB User
Re: Floaters??

Too much fat is not the only reason, though. The amount of fiber one eats, the general density of the waste once it is processed by the body, and the amount of air that the body works into the feces all contribute. Floating is NOT a firm indicator that something is wrong. (That is according to a gastroenterologist that posts on another site.)

Now, in alternate medicine circles, some people believe floaters (coming from a good diet [generally meaning vegetarian, in this case]) indicate excellent health and are very desirable.

 
Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Too much fat is not the only reason, though. The amount of fiber one eats, the general density of the waste once it is processed by the body, and the amount of air that the body works into the feces all contribute. Floating is NOT a firm indicator that something is wrong. (That is according to a gastroenterologist that posts on another site.)

Now, in alternate medicine circles, some people believe floaters (coming from a good diet [generally meaning vegetarian, in this case]) indicate excellent health and are very desirable.
Wow! Lots of different opinions!

 
Old 12-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 794
actudan HB User
Re: Floaters??

Here's some summary info on various stools.

[url]http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm[/url]

 
Old 12-12-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: rockville
Posts: 274
gillian30 HB User
Re: Floaters??

The only time I ever read that floating stools are a concern is in relation to the disease I have, which is Celiac Disease. It's a disease of malabsorbsion, and can cause floating stool.
__________________
gillian

 
Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
lindsee HB User
Question Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernier
They usually float if you eat a high fat diet. I have never heard (well never read in the literature) of a floating stool being related to high fiber...only to fats.


I've also been told that if you eat a diet high in saturated fats this will cause your stool to float, (it would seem to make it heavier and sink)but a lot of people believe that a diet high in fiber will cause the stool to float, well, in my case this is not true, I consume a large amount of fiber everyday and my stools quickly disappear!!Who knows?

 
Old 12-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,876
singer1 HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsee
I've also been told that if you eat a diet high in saturated fats this will cause your stool to float, (it would seem to make it heavier and sink)but a lot of people believe that a diet high in fiber will cause the stool to float, well, in my case this is not true, I consume a large amount of fiber everyday and my stools quickly disappear!!Who knows?

Everyone has different theories

 
Old 12-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10
MissyPrincess HB User
Re: Floaters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I am wondering what causes a bowel movement to "float" in the toilet? Is it considered a bowel disorder? Mine didn't use to float and I've noticed in the past 4 days, that they do. Anyone else experience this?
I've read on a few board and sites that discuss parasite cleaning, that floating bowels are good. It has less "bad stuff" in it causing it to sink. A holistic docter would be the best person to discuss this issue.
__________________
Health = Beauty

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Long-Term Floaters? macmonkey Eye & Vision 0 07-03-2009 05:45 PM
Floaters mistysea Lasik Eye Surgery 22 09-28-2007 07:33 AM
Floaters and Vitamins wilycoyote Eye & Vision 16 06-19-2007 04:10 AM
Floaters. How bad? lovinthev8 Eye & Vision 6 04-04-2007 02:42 PM
Young with Floaters...help please c12385 Eye & Vision 2 09-06-2006 12:21 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



flipfleury (33), solofelix (25), Babygirl43 (19), quincy (15), sonray (15), TacomaGuy (14), rufous57 (14), ladybud (13), sjb (13), nomorefissure (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!