It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 PM   #1

muslimlady HB User
jelly like stuff when i poop or pass gas, no poop..

hi, I have had this problem for some time and can not find information on the internet.....Am i crazy, Please tell me you know what i am talking about......I have constipation all the time, cant poop, My norm would be maybe twice a week i get a small, VERY SMALL rock hard bm. then maybe once every three weeks i pass a good size bm. ***************BUT************ in between this time and that time i ALWAYS PASS JELLY LIKE FLUID froom my rectum. Even when i pass gas the jelly stuff will come out IN MY PANTIES! EWWWWWWWW i have to strain in order to have a BM......now other then this i am fine. I am on asthma meds and also zoloft, but the zoloft cant be the cause of this because it has been happening way before i was put on meds. ( i say it has been doing this for a year now)

anyone knows what is going on? Or am i crazy?

The following user gives a hug of support to muslimlady:
tabithanelson (09-08-2011)
Old 12-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: jelly like stuff when i poop or pass gas, no poop..

The jelly like thing sounds like mucous, and the fact that you are having trouble going to the bathroom, but also having those huge bowel movements, makes me think that it is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS also does tend to appear in people who are under emotional stress, are anxious or are depressed. I am making the assumption that one of those applies to you because you're on zoloft.

Have you mentioned these symptoms to the doctor? There is a drug called zelnorm that might help you! Also, don't forget all the non-medicinal stuff like eating lots of fiber and drinking water to help keep your stool soft.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 06:58 AM   #3

bono HB User

The jelly like stuff is mucus probably. It's common among IBS patients.
However I have never heard of it in relation to constipation. Have you tried the new med Zelnorm. Its for women in your situiation.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 AM   #4

bono HB User

Sorry read your ost before I read my own. I wanted to further say that I noticed when I have the mucus It is difficult to pass stools, but I do. Usually about 5or 6 a day when this mucus crap is happening. They are small and incomplete. The wierd thing about me is when it happens once It will happen many more times. The gas thing I have that sometimes to, very bad and annoying as crap. I however think you will find help long for I do since IBS is more common in women than men and I suffer no other headline symptms really. No cramps or bloating.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
(male)

blueboy1979 HB User

I have exactly the same symptoms as you. Started about 6 months ago. I've been to the docs and demanded a colonoscopy just to find out what the hell is going on.

The docs didnt seem too interested and said it was probably IBS (my sis has Ulcerated Colitis so bowel trouble runs in the family).

I normally have mucous when I go. I have only once had the clear jelly that you notice and that was quite freaky.

As with you, I have smaller BM's and its like its a proper size, but sort of not moulded together if you know what I mean. Like a jigsaw that falls apart!! And then once every couple of weeks i will have a normal BM and think everything is ok again.

Interesting thing is that i'm on medication for Ashthma too. Have been since I was 11 (now 24). I havent been using my inhaler as much lately as I seem to be growing out of it.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:09 AM   #6

bono HB User

Yeah, The jigsaw thing I have that but only when the mucus crap is bothering me somehow there is a correaltion between the two Mucus=incomplete fall apart bowel movements. No mucus=normal formed big BM's.

You could have proctitis that is what I had, it was mild and not ulcerative but still it is an inflamation of the mucosa lining in the rectum.
The other funny thing is with IBS sufferers they tend to say mucus is present during stool evacutaion or covering the stool or even after the bm, me, none really, small traces maybe but it seems to be more by itself.

Read my post, see if you have symptoms like me I went into detail so i hope it can help.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
(male)

blueboy1979 HB User

[QUOTE=bono]Yeah, The jigsaw thing I have that but only when the mucus crap is bothering me somehow there is a correaltion between the two Mucus=incomplete fall apart bowel movements. No mucus=normal formed big BM's.
QUOTE]

Thats exactly the same as me. When the mucus isnt present, the BM's are well formed.

I dont really have any of your other symptoms. Not excreting mucos or anything like that, only when I go to the loo.

The only other sympton i have been having was a slightly flattened stool when the BM's were normal size. This seems to have been solved by daily fibre supplements.

No sickness, bloating, eating fine and no wait loss.

Just have to wait till Feb for my colonoscopy (im in the UK and our national health service is a joke, takes 2 weeks just to get a GP's appointment!!)

Old 12-15-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
The jelly like stuff is mucus probably. It's common among IBS patients.
However I have never heard of it in relation to constipation. Have you tried the new med Zelnorm. Its for women in your situiation.
Yeah...that's what I was thinking....usually the mucousy discharge goes along with looser stools, but then again, alternating diarrhea and constipation can be a characteristic of IBS.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:29 PM   #9

bono HB User

I can relate as well I'm from a small Texas town with two GE's to choose from one has screwed up my aunts bowels before and the other, the one I see isn't really concerned. Maybe the doctors over there are at least more concerned.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:00 PM   #10

Breyana HB User

I found this thread interesting,as I have all of these symptoms as well,but mine have been ongoing for at least 7 years that I can recall.It's been alot worse over the past few years though. The thing I find interesting is the asthma meds link.I,myself,do not have asthma,but have been addicted to Ephedra for over 10 years. From what I understand,Ephedra,or an Ephedra-like medication,is present in asthma inhalers. I'm just wondering if there is any link? I have recently been put on medication for chronic constipation (Colace I think it's called),and took my first dose earlier today.So far nothing. I find that regular laxatives give me horrible cramping and make me really ill (they do serve their purpose,but I hate feeling so ill). I also HATE fiber with a vengence. When I eat fiber I get so bloated I can literally see my stomach ballooned up and it hurts!I've never tried a fiber supplement because I am afraid they will do the same thing. Anyway,I'm due back at the Dr. in a few months,and I will be sure to ask her if there is any link between this constipation with mucus and Ephedra.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #11

grayson HB User

[FONT=Tahoma]I too have the same problem. I've had it now for just over two years. It seems to be getting worse though. I'm sorry to be so graphic,but I have to constantly clean off this jelly like substance from my bum everyday and thats between bowel movements. I get this terrible gas in which a gob of jelly will come out. It is really depressing me a lot. I feel so disgusting and have no social life. I did go to the doctor over a year ago, the tests he did consisted of a fecal occult test and a blood test which were normal. I have not had a colonscopy, am rather afraid to do so. He just told me that I have IBS and to take metamucil and gas-x for the gas. I take metmamucil twice a day, (in the morning and at night).
Just what exactly is that stuff? Why is my body producing so much of it?

Old 12-16-2003, 11:30 AM   #12

muslimlady HB User

[QUOTE=grayson][FONT=Tahoma]I too have the same problem. I've had it now for just over two years. It seems to be getting worse though. I'm sorry to be so graphic,but I have to constantly clean off this jelly like substance from my bum everyday and thats between bowel movements. "

Yes, I am very happy I posted on here to find out i am not the only one that has this jelly stuff. I think I will call my dr and tell her now i know it is common and may be IBS. thanks everyone! also about the above quote, I know what you mean about having to wipe the stuff between b.m's. i have to do the same! every time i pass gas i hope and pray that it is gas and not a big gulp of jelly stuff! YUK

thanks everyone! now i know i am not a freak!

Old 12-18-2003, 05:59 PM   #13

litroy HB User

TRY to up your fruit intake to fight the constipation.
I use one banana, 2 apples and 1 orange in mixture with 1 dose of metamucil powder to make my own smoothie morning and night.

This works pretty well, and is pretty tasty as well.
IBS or not, more soluable fiber would do you a world of good.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I get the jelly stuff too when I'm all plugged up. I'm one of the odd ball ones with crohn's, I tend to be constipated instead of having the runs all the time.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #15

bono HB User

- Twisten

That's really interesting that you say you have crohns and get plugged up. Where is your chrons confined to: small bowel, stomach, large intestine, rectum? I was told my a person this site that I could have IBD instead of IBS which I'm not totally sure if I have IBS. My symptoms are very similar to muslimladys except I can go to the bathroom usually 2 to 3 times a day but lately it's around 4 to 5 they are all formed stools no diaherra or anything they aren't hard to pass granted though it usually doesn't come out in one big thing like it use to, it comes out broken, its still pretty good size not small rabbit pellet constipation like.
I was wandering, see, I have had a colonoscopy just of my rectum and large intestine. I hear crohns alot of times affects the small intestines and stomach what tests determine that. Also I had mild proctitis my doc thinks it should have been healed in a week or two I have been on Asacol going on six weeks. I can't tell if my symptoms are still from that or something else. How did you find out about your crohns and what test did they do to find it?

VERY INTERESTED, THANKS

Closed Thread