It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
Inactive

hwbe HB User
no urge to BM

I eat a really healthy diet with lots of fibre, drink a lot of water but I barely feel the urge to have a BM. Sometimes I get it in the morning but the BMs aren't always complete. I usually have BMs when I want to pee really badly, then I kinda feel the urge to have a BM too. Though sometimes it still wouldn't go, even if I feel that there's "something" to go. My stolls are usually very soft, but if I don't success to have a BM they become harder and things get worse. So all day long I have to hold my pee until I'm almost exploding to maybe have a BM. Doing so sometimes I may even have 3, and they always are in the first part of the day, never after noon.
I eat both soluble and unsoluble fibre, my diet contain oats, oat and wheat bran, flax, legumes, nuts, fruits (also dried), whole grain bread, yogurt (most of these things I eat every day) and a lot of water. By the way couple years ago I was living in different place and eating very unhealthy diet (main food was fried potatoes and sausages, white bread with chocolate cream, sandwhiches, pizzas, cookies, almost no fruits and veggies, all I drank was a few cups of coffeee and coke through the day) and I had very good regular BMs every day. So I think something must have changed...
I'll be really happy if anyone has any ideas where the problem may be and if I could do something about it. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-2004, 04:16 AM   #2

nsa18 HB User
Re: no urge to BM

it sounds like you eat healthy. In order to have healthy bowel movements and to get the urge theres more to do than just eat healthy. Food combining is also important. Not drinking during meals is key. Lots of water is important otherwise fiber wont be as effective. Here is something i saw while researching.
These are bad to combine

Mixing dried sweet fruit, honey, maple syrup or bananas with nuts or seeds, in the same dish, course or mouthful.

Mixing starch foods with fresh or acid foods or fruits, (as "fruit, lemons or vinegar with grains, bread, etc.)

vegetables, starches or proteins) They can be eaten before, but never after cooked food.
Mixing dried sweet fruits with acid fruits.

Never eat dried sweet fruits with or after concentrated proteins (beans, fish, chicken, meat, etc.)

Eating raw, fresh or dried fruits after any cooked food (such as

Avoid drinking beverages or even water during or after meals. This dilutes the enzymes which digest the food.

No water should be drunk for at least an hour after eating. If you want to urge for a bowel movement try eating grapes for an instant effect. I am on a vegetarian diet. i dont eat anything from animals not even dairy or eggs. Remember, water is key

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow Re: no urge to BM

hwbe,

You need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily to have your intestines function like they are suppose to do.

Although you seem to eat healthy -- it could be that you have to train your bowels daily. Try sitting on the toilet at the same time daily for about 10 minutes. This seems to work for some people.

I also eat healthy but I have found that taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Mertamucil twice daily helps. But, I use the Equate brand from Wal Mart --it seem a little courser than Metamucil and I like it better.
It's safe to take daily and is a stool bulking agent.

I guess I don't get as much water absorbable fiber as I thought in my diet.

Using psyllium is certainly worth a try --- it's not a costly thing to do!!!

I wish you well---Harry

Old 01-01-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Inactive

hwbe HB User

Thank you for your answers.
From the first post the wrong thing that applies to me is that I always drink water before and after meal. Some time ago I used not to, but since I got constipated a few times I started drinking with meals so the stools don't get hard. Another thing is that I feel like food is digested faster with water, at least it seems that it stays shorter in my stomach. But could drinking with meals cause lack of urges? Or could I be drinking too much water at all? I usually drink at least 2 litres per day (it's about 10 glasses) of plain water + a few cups of tea. So my stools are very soft, but maybe that could be the reason of no urges?
I've noticed that grapes have good effect too, at least BMs are really good, but still no urge...

By the way I'm vegetarian too Though I eat dairy products, mainly yogurt.

As far as Metamucil goes I've read a lot about it, but they don't sell it here so I can't try it (I couldn't even find something else that contains psyllium). But in their website they say that one dose has 3 grams of fibre and I wonder if that would help as I definitely get 20-30 grams of fibre in my diet, maybe even more, all my meals contain fibre!
Today I tried not to drink with my meal and will try it for a few days, maybe that would help..

Old 01-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #5

litroy HB User

Hmm, I was able to re-regulate my BM from twice a day to once a day after I started the all fruit smoothe once a day...

1 teaspoon of soluable fiber(metamucil) + 2 apples + 1 banana+ OJ + lots of water blended. Drink this during and after meal... I've found adequate sleep is essential in getting BM urges.. If I don't have a good night sleep, I don't get the urge till after I eat lunch and drink some water...

Closed Thread