It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
What can i eat to bulk my stools up?

Most days my stools aren't fully formed. They're soft and floating and i have to flush the toilet about 5 times to get rid of it all. I don't think i'm eating enough fibre. This is what i eat in a typical day:

Ham sandwhich for lunch in white bread. I don't like eating brown bread cos it bloats you. Meat and 3 veg for dinner. Then i eat chocolate and crisps in the evening. I don't eat any fruit, apart from a banana some days. Does that sound like i'm not getting enough fibre? I think i eat too much fat, too.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #2

nsa18 HB User
Re: What can i eat to bulk my stools up?

It does not sound like you are eating enough in general let alone not enough fiber. I noticed you listed lunch and dinner but what about breakfast? The only reason "brown bread" bloats you is because you are not use to eating. Eating meat is not good for trying to bulk up stool because animal products have zero fiber in them. Fruits generally are less bloating then bread etc.. I find that oranges work very well. Bananas tend to harden stool. The ideal way is to eat during the course of the day and then the next morning expel the waste from your body.
You are not eating enough. If you incorporate whole grain bread, fruits and vegetables you shouldnt have a problem. Remember water is very very important. You should cut the chocolate out.Although chocolate contains fiber it is not beneficial. You should limit the amount of animal products that you eat because they take very long to leave the body and it alot of case never leaves the body making people sick. If you have further questions post here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thank you for the advice. I don't eat breakfast because by the time i get up and get ready, it's lunch time. But i do eat all evening till i go to bed at about 2am. If i am up in time for breakfast, i usually just have a banana. I used to eat brown bread all the time and when i changed to white bread, i stopped bloating. I've heard that friut causes bloating, too. I drink cordial all day. Is that as good as water?

Old 01-13-2004, 08:35 AM   #4

nsa18 HB User

I am not familiar with cordial. Water is best though. Is there a specific reason as to why you go to sleep at 2am? Bowel movements are also dependent on sleep and the time of the night in which you sleep.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa18
I am not familiar with cordial. Water is best though. Is there a specific reason as to why you go to sleep at 2am? Bowel movements are also dependent on sleep and the time of the night in which you sleep.
Cordial is concentrated fruit juice diluted with water.

I go to sleep at that time if i don't start work till later and i get up late.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

To bulk up your stool you need to intake water soluble fibre. It is the type that absorbs water/liquid and don't give it back readily like grains, beans, potatoes, etc.
Bananas are an insoluble fibre like wheat bran, green bean, nuts, cauliflower. you need both types for normal BMs. You need between 20 and 30 grams of fibre daily for your bowels to function normally.

All meat including seafood and all dairy products do not contain any fibre.

I suggest that you also take a water fibre supplementlike psyllium twice daily and drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. Psyllium contains both types of fibre. Since it is a natrual fibre, it will breakdown by the intestinal bacteria and cause gas but with continued use it will go away. It is also safe to take daily. It also work just as well for diarrhea and constipation.

Eating a good brand of yogurt is good to keep your intestinal bacteria in balance. Too much sweet fruit juice has a tendancy for your friendly intestinal bacteria to get out of balance becauce yeast thrives on sugary food.

God Bless--- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-13-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thanks Harry.

I forgot to say that the cordial is sugar free. I drink about 3 or 4 pints a day.

Also, i used to take acidophilus capsules for a few years and i started drinking Actimel a couple of months ago instead of the acidophilus. So i must have enough friendly bacteria. But i do eat alot of chocolate, which has alot of sugar, doesn't it.

Closed Thread