It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
extra LONG colon????

Ok, went to see the GI doc today. He was very nice and made me feel very comfortable and said he was going to get an anestisiologist to put me completely under for the colonoscopy. GOOD NEWS THERE!!! The thing he said that freaked hubby and me out tho was that he asked if ANYONE had ever told me about my colon/bowel being extremely long. I thought he was just joking at first , but nope, he was serious. He said that I had much more than usual or normal and was probably born this way and that was probably why I was having pain and constipation because it would back up due to it being so long. He explained it better than i can to where it made sense.
Depending on what he finds out thru the colonoscopy, things might be taken care of with just meds if everything comes out ok. IF THE PAIN persists and does not go away with meds, then hes suggesting that i might need surgery and half of my colon would be taken out. HAS ANYONE heard of colons being TOO LONG before?????
Jen

Old 01-21-2004, 12:31 AM   #2
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
Re: extra LONG colon????

Just posted something similar on the IBS board. I also saw my GI today. Scheduled colonoscopy Feb. 10. He said he might not even be able to get thru my whole colon because it is so long and shaped like a roller coaster. My problem is constipation and a history of colon cancer in my family. What are you having the colonoscopy for? And when? Let me know what happens and good luck.
If i'm falling apart like this at 40, I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with me at 60.
God Bless
God Bless

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaye2003:
Yoga GiGI (10-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey Kaye,
Thanks, will go see what you posted under the IBS board. Mainly problems of PAIN and constipation. The pain was in the lower right quadrant since Thanksgiving. Well , still there just not on the level 10 that it was when i was admitted to the hospital on Dec 29 several weeks ago.

Prior to that the primary doctor thought it was diverticulitis but after 2 rounds of antibiotics after thanksgiving the pain just didnt go away. FInally couldnt take it any longer, and went to the ER. Was admitted right away, was dehydrated from not eating or drinking (was afraid to cause of the pain). They loaded me up with IVs of fluids and antibiotics and the only thing that would calm the pain was the pain shot. I mean ONLY calm, cause it sure didnt take it away. The day i was released, i was still hurting but able to eat something. They made the appt with the GI doctor for followup.

Thats who i saw yesterday and was told, the doctors in the hospital should have cleaned me out, told me about the long colon, and that no matter what, I would be backed up because of adhesions (from 3 previous surgeries not related to this) and the length of it. He said they should have given me some meds to work on that when they sent me home. Anyway, the colonoscopy is set for Feb. 20th, and I will be completely UNDER so i wont be feeling any pain (thank GOD).

Im so sorry for what youre going thru. Please write back and let me know how you are.
Thanks,
Jen

Last edited by moderator4; 01-21-2004 at 07:39 AM.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jen,

I was told years ago that My colon was longer than normal. The Doc said it should not cause any problem. I guess we are all different -- I don't think there is a standard length for your intestines.
The important thing is that you eat properly so that your food intake has the right amount and kind of fiber so that your intestinal motility is OK. You need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily for your intestines to function properly--- and all fiber is not the same?

I have also found that with the diet most of us eat today --we don't get enough of the right kind of nutrients including vitamins and minerals for our intestines peristalic( contractions) action to be normal??

It really is not our fault! Much of the food we eat and have available to up has been processed too much. The fruits and veggies are grown in the ground where alot of the nutrients are depleted.

We intake too much preservatives, pestacides, herbacides, and growth harmones that our parents did not have to deal with. Bread use to get moldy after 3 days, milk certainly did not have a month shelf life and dated. Twinkies have a shelf life of 18 years--- not that I eat them but other food is much the same.

We just live in a polluted world that is not getting better. Too much mercury, PCBs, DDT, heavy metals even aluminum--- all cause problems!!!

Cramping and spasms can be caused by lack of Calcium, Magnesium and potassium. It is estimated that 75% of people are deficient in magnesium.

I certainly would get several Doctors opinions( not surgeons) before I had any part of my colon removed!!! You also have the possability of adhesions and nothing is ever put back in place like it use to be??

I had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed because of chronic diverticular bleeding. I went to the ER on 2/11/02 and in 4 hours lost half my blood. That was almost 2 years ago. I don't know if my digestion will ever be the same?? Raw fruit, veggies and nuts sometimes give me problems.

What surgery did you have to give you Adhesions now??

Sorry so long---Harry

Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Harry,

THANK you so much for all that great info. Yes, I do know im not up to par on my fiber intake. That has always been a problem of mine. I try to eat right , but due to pain and IBS symptoms since i also have fibro and other health problems, I dont always have much of an appetite. I think one health problem adds more stress to the other one and its a domino affect if you know what i mean.

I had my appendix removed when i was 14. Then when I was 26, I had my right ovary removed due to cysts on it. Six months later they went in thru the same cut they did to remove the ovary, to remove the other ovary and uterus. Since then, it seems ive developed trouble with constipation and other stomach problems. Ive had fibro for a very long time. I also take lortab plus muscle relaxers for the pain so that ADDS to the constipation problem as well.

Ive also been taking some colace, plus now this doc gave me miralax, i hope it will help. Im glad to hear having a longer colon than usual is more normal than not. I had never heard of it so it took me by surprise and oh i think before i allow anyone to cut into me again, i better have a few docs agreeing on it instead of just one. I know that even if they were to cut in and remove colon, plus take care and remove old adhesions, new ones would just reappear.

Im so sorry you had such a rough time Harry! I can't imagine what you went thru. Are you doing well now?
Please take care,
Jen

Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User

Jennetti
Me again. Just read your post on here. I also have fibro, TMJ, and IBS-c. Listen to Harry about the supplements. I've just got in the last week or so where I can have a bm without 1 1/2 caps of Miralax every night. Thanks to taking advise from Harry and others, I'm down to 1/2 cap using the supplements they recommended. (which much more normal stools) Let me know about your results from the colonoscopy.
God bless and good luck

Old 01-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye2003
Jennetti
Me again. Just read your post on here. I also have fibro, TMJ, and IBS-c. Listen to Harry about the supplements. I've just got in the last week or so where I can have a bm without 1 1/2 caps of Miralax every night. Thanks to taking advise from Harry and others, I'm down to 1/2 cap using the supplements they recommended. (which much more normal stools) Let me know about your results from the colonoscopy.
God bless and good luck
Hey Kaye,
That fibro really messes with alot of other things huh? Yep, im going to listen to Harry about those supplements. I started the Miralax day before yesterday and I really havent seen a huge difference but then again ive only had 3 doses so ive got to give it a chance. Have a great day!
Jen

Closed Thread