It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

barbpom HB User
MiraLax for constipation

Hi... is there anyone in here who takes this. My sister was prescribed this and when I did research on it I was surprised. It is Polythylene Glycol, and according to the MSDS Material Saftety Data Sheet for Polyethylene Glyco is:
Maybe harmful by inhalation, ingestion or through skin absorption. Exposer can cause gastro-intestinal disturbances, nausea, headache and vomiting, central nervous system depression. Other names are Propylene Glycol, Polyethlene Glyco, Butylene Glyco, Ethylene Glyco, all are petroleum derivatives. It is used in, solvents in Acrylics, stains, inks, dyes , cellophane and brake fluid.

Now is it just me, why would anyone give their patients this? Research I guess what you are taking. I thought you may find this interesting, I sure did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: MiraLax for constipation

barbpom,
That is a good message. I have been reading these posts for a few years and I am still amazed what Doctors put their patients on and tell them that it is safe to take forever. Miralax is in the class of laxatives that is an Osmotic type that draws fluid into your colon from the blood vessels for a BM --- in the same class with Milk Of Magnesia, Epson salts and Magnesium Citrate.
All of these should only be used for occational constipation!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 03:18 PM   #3

kcoffey25 HB User
Thumbs up Re: MiraLax for constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbpom
Hi... is there anyone in here who takes this. My sister was prescribed this and when I did research on it I was surprised. It is Polythylene Glycol, and according to the MSDS Material Saftety Data Sheet for Polyethylene Glyco is:
Maybe harmful by inhalation, ingestion or through skin absorption. Exposer can cause gastro-intestinal disturbances, nausea, headache and vomiting, central nervous system depression. Other names are Propylene Glycol, Polyethlene Glyco, Butylene Glyco, Ethylene Glyco, all are petroleum derivatives. It is used in, solvents in Acrylics, stains, inks, dyes , cellophane and brake fluid.

Now is it just me, why would anyone give their patients this? Research I guess what you are taking. I thought you may find this interesting, I sure did.
I take MiraLax and find it to be a GODsend. I haven't had a "normal" BM in years, I was always constipated and any laxitive was just something else added to what was in there needing to come out. Enemas were the only thing that worked and they only worked for a small distance in the colon unless multiple enemas were used, but usually 1 or 2 were enough to bring relief. My problem stems from diabetes and my MD prescribed MiraLax I used it faithfully for 3 days before it had an effect, this 3 days of med lasted about 3 days before I started feeling constipated again. I took it again for 2 days and the effects lasted longer, I am still on my first bottle (bought in 11/2003) and now only have to take it about every 3 weeks or so. if anyone has ever been constipated chronically this is some wonderful stuff. As for what's in it, these thing have been tested for our use and there may be some things that are scary/plain dangerous but ALL medications you put in your mouth/body are the same. They are all dangerous, every one of them and that is why most have to be prescribed by a Physician, but there are still some you can walk up to a shelf and purchase that are just as dangerous. Off my soap box now just wanted you to know what I thought about MiraLax

Last edited by kcoffey25; 02-27-2004 at 08:34 PM.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

Brendap HB User
Re: MiraLax for constipation

I agree with Kcoffey25. I have used Miralax for three months now -- every single day. It is indeed a Godsend. I have a motility problem and nothing -- and I mean NOTHING, works except this. I was told to be sure and drink lots of water with it, and I do. The more water you drink the better it works.

I was told by three different Drs. that it is ok to take this every day -- I take a small dose (less than the dosage capful) every morning. I eat a lot of insoluble fiber every day (fruits, etc.) -- too much soluble fiber tends to constipate me. Metamucil is like drinking a glass of cement -- no matter how much water I drink during the day...even 8 - 10 glasses of water.

My diet is healthy -- I am in the gym every other day and I walk two miles every day that I am not in the gym. -- I am not overweight, and am otherwise healthy. I am just chronically constipated.

I am having a baseline colonoscopy this Wednesday, and if that is OK -- then I will try going off the Miralax every now and then like Kcoffey25 to see if my condition has improved. If I remain constipated I will not hesitate to go back on Miralax. It is the closest my life has been to normal in years.

Maybe it isn't for everybody, but it sure helps some of us.

Brenda

The following user gives a hug of support to Brendap:
shemarg (09-12-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendap For This Useful Post:
shemarg (09-12-2011)
Closed Thread