It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
lacy33 HB User
Question Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

A couple of weeks ago, I had some serious constipation problems and some rectal bleeding. After this incident, I had some achiness and soreness around my tailbone and on up my back until about my waistline.

I went to dr. and she just suggested that I eat better and drink lots of water. (I was on decongestants at the time this all happened). Anway, I do not see blood anymore on stool and the diet change has helped TREMENDOUSLY with softening stools, but any time there is a somewhat large or dry stool, I still have this pain around my tailbone and back. Its hard to explain - achy, bruised, sore feeling. If I touch the outside of my back in this area, everything just feels tender inside there.

Maybe its nothing and just a side effect of passing a very large dry stool a couple of weeks ago, and its just going to heal, but I'm worried that the pain is something else - although I never had this pain before this incident. Any help????

 
Old 02-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 113
runninggal HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Lacy, I have had the exact same achiness and pain you describe. It seems to always follow a large, or difficult bowel movement, with or without blood. It usually takes 2 or 3 days for the pain to disappear. I thought it probably had something to do with the sensitive nerve endings in that area of the body, however...
Interestingly, you mention the pain and the use of decongestants. For me, I noticed that I have an episode of this pain when I am using the nasal steroid, Flonase. I am convinced there is some type of connection.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
lacy33 HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Yes, I think that that you are right. My dr. kept telling me I had a fissure, but the pain associated with a fissure was not matching the type pain I was having - it was also in a different location. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have really bad allergies, but I guess I will have to do without the allergy medicine. I'd rather have those problems than what I've been experiencing the last week.

 
Old 02-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,139
injured betty HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?



You guys need to surf the net more. I have this probem with my tailbone. Each time I went in to see the doc he said, "Look, everytime that you are constipated and have to go, you are moving your tail bone." There is a scientific name for it but I am not sure how it is spelled. So, I went on the net to the Google search engine and plugged in "twisted tail bone". Sure enough, that is what was happening. As humans we don't need a tail bone and some people have them removed. Not my first choice. However, you don't want this to continue to happen. My first line of defense was to eat LOTS of fiber. I know, not everyone's favorite response. I eat a bowl of Total everynight, killiing two birds with one stone, complete source of vitamines as well as fiber. I usually add raisins for extra fiber. I add an apple or applesause to the daily regiment. (Hey, no one wants to resort to to the gritty Metamucil)

That was working for a while but I had a back injury and was not moving as much as I should so I added in a three mile walk everyday. Also, I added in a Yoga pose called the Child's position. This seemed to help quite a bit. This really stretches out your spine.

You have to maintain correct posture when sitting to keep your tailbone in place. If you feel like it is out of place see a DO who will press it back in place for you and then there are exercises which will keep it in place. I lay flat on my back and then conciously move my pelvis around in a circle to straighten it out. It worked for me until my back injury at work. I tore a ligament. If your tail bone is out and your ligaments are stretched out there is no alternative to stretched ligaments than Prolotherapy. Just hope that you don't come to that. I did. Not for my tail bone but for the ligament from L5 to my hip. Talk about pain.

Right now you have control over your tail bone. The easiest way to deal with it is to avoid constipation. Live in the moment. Be here now. Know what you are putting into your body and what effects it will have on your body. Nothing enters through osmosis. Before taking any medications check the vast amount of knowledge that you have at your fingertips by surfing the net. Your body is your temple and it is all that you really have. If you look at it like that and take the time to take care of it, it will take care of you.

I am surprized that your doctor did not suggest manipulation of your tailbone. This is why I see a DO (which is a doctor who looks at the entire body) and not an MD.

Next time you sit down to have a BM think about your tailbone and where it is in perspective to what you are doing. It is right there, in the way. Each time that you pass less than ideal stool it moves your tail bone to the side.

So, fiber, fiber, fiber. It is good for your heart, your colon, your stomach, and your tailbone. Get it anyway that you can. Trade jucies for fruit and eat veggies at every meal. Remember that oatmeal that your mom feed you? It realy was good for you

 
Old 02-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 113
runninggal HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Betty,
Constipation is definately not my problem. Having had colorectal surgery 9 months ago, I am more than careful about my diet. I could probably be the poster-girl for fiber. When I say large bowel movement, I just mean a lot of stool. And by difficult, I am referring to the occasional bowel changes due to monthly hormonal fluctuations.
Through process of elimination, I have made a correlation between my allergy meds and the back/tailbone pain Lacy and I describe.

Thanks for your input. BTW~ if I surfed the Net anymore than I already do, my children and husband would never see me

Take care.

 
Old 02-27-2004, 08:56 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
lacy33 HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Thanks for the help. I guess I never thought of it that way. I'm still having a little blood on the stool though, any time the stool is remotely dry or big, i have a little blood on stool and back pain around my tailbone. I think its getting better, but I guess I just expected immediate results when I changed by diet around.

As far as the allergy meds - I had never had these problems before I was on allegy meds. The decongenstants in them I guess just dried me up and got me to the point I am now.

What is a DO? Sounds like someone I need to see. I also have chronic constochondritis - (chest wall pain) and it gets so painful sometimes that I swear its my heart and not inflammed cartilage in my ribs. I go to dr., they run tests, and send me home with anti-inflammatories. I think a DO (whatever that is) might be someone I could get help from.




Quote:
Originally Posted by injured betty


You guys need to surf the net more. I have this probem with my tailbone. Each time I went in to see the doc he said, "Look, everytime that you are constipated and have to go, you are moving your tail bone." There is a scientific name for it but I am not sure how it is spelled. So, I went on the net to the Google search engine and plugged in "twisted tail bone". Sure enough, that is what was happening. As humans we don't need a tail bone and some people have them removed. Not my first choice. However, you don't want this to continue to happen. My first line of defense was to eat LOTS of fiber. I know, not everyone's favorite response. I eat a bowl of Total everynight, killiing two birds with one stone, complete source of vitamines as well as fiber. I usually add raisins for extra fiber. I add an apple or applesause to the daily regiment. (Hey, no one wants to resort to to the gritty Metamucil)

That was working for a while but I had a back injury and was not moving as much as I should so I added in a three mile walk everyday. Also, I added in a Yoga pose called the Child's position. This seemed to help quite a bit. This really stretches out your spine.

You have to maintain correct posture when sitting to keep your tailbone in place. If you feel like it is out of place see a DO who will press it back in place for you and then there are exercises which will keep it in place. I lay flat on my back and then conciously move my pelvis around in a circle to straighten it out. It worked for me until my back injury at work. I tore a ligament. If your tail bone is out and your ligaments are stretched out there is no alternative to stretched ligaments than Prolotherapy. Just hope that you don't come to that. I did. Not for my tail bone but for the ligament from L5 to my hip. Talk about pain.

Right now you have control over your tail bone. The easiest way to deal with it is to avoid constipation. Live in the moment. Be here now. Know what you are putting into your body and what effects it will have on your body. Nothing enters through osmosis. Before taking any medications check the vast amount of knowledge that you have at your fingertips by surfing the net. Your body is your temple and it is all that you really have. If you look at it like that and take the time to take care of it, it will take care of you.

I am surprized that your doctor did not suggest manipulation of your tailbone. This is why I see a DO (which is a doctor who looks at the entire body) and not an MD.

Next time you sit down to have a BM think about your tailbone and where it is in perspective to what you are doing. It is right there, in the way. Each time that you pass less than ideal stool it moves your tail bone to the side.

So, fiber, fiber, fiber. It is good for your heart, your colon, your stomach, and your tailbone. Get it anyway that you can. Trade jucies for fruit and eat veggies at every meal. Remember that oatmeal that your mom feed you? It realy was good for you

 
Old 02-27-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
lacy33 HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Also - have you heard that Hypericum Perf helps pain in that area? I heard that b/c of numerous nerve endings that are in the area, this may help.

sorry I'm not so "up" on all this info. I have never had any problems until now and am just learning. I'm 25 and just recently learned that i can't eat pizza and drink cokes forever b/c of the repercussions on my bod.

 
Old 02-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,139
injured betty HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninggal
Betty,
Constipation is definately not my problem. Having had colorectal surgery 9 months ago, I am more than careful about my diet. I could probably be the poster-girl for fiber. When I say large bowel movement, I just mean a lot of stool. And by difficult, I am referring to the occasional bowel changes due to monthly hormonal fluctuations.
Through process of elimination, I have made a correlation between my allergy meds and the back/tailbone pain Lacy and I describe.

Thanks for your input. BTW~ if I surfed the Net anymore than I already do, my children and husband would never see me

Take care.


Ahh, thanks for that clarification. I know that each time I complained about my tail bone the doctor told me to watch the fiber in take. I think that you are among the few, that is why I suggested fiber. No one really likes to take it or eat it. It is boring.

LOL regarding the net surfing. Isn't it a great tool? I have saved thousands of dollars since I started using the computer. You can get so many answers from other people who are sufferring the same things that you are now.

Ya know, there is a web site for surfing addiction

 
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,139
injured betty HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

A D.O. is an Osteopath. They look at the body as a whole unit, everything connected. The one that I go to only works on backs and back related problems. I am so grateful that he in on our insurance plan. We have another on our plan that we see for other health related problems. I prefer a DO as they are not so quick to hand out pain pills, anti-inflammatories or to follow the insurance hoops and hurdles. They try to put you in touch with people who can help without the wait time.

Anti-inflammatories are really bad on your body. Have you gone to a search engine and plugged in inflammed cartilege SP?

Did a test show that is what you have? I know that tests are expensive but I would rather have tests done than let a doctor play a time consuming guessing game with my health.

 
Old 02-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 36
lacy33 HB User
Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

As far as I know, there are no tests to run to determine costocondritis. There are message boards similar to this one for that ailment and everyone seems to have the same types of pains - and they are not really conistent with pains that heart trouble gives you.

I would say the pain is very similar to the bruised feeling tailbone problem i am having now except that it is in the area next to the breastbone. You can touch that area and it is very tender and your chest muscles ache sometimes too. That's not really consistent with heart problems.

 
Old 02-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,139
injured betty HB User
Wink Re: Pain in tailbone/lower back, should I be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacy33
Also - have you heard that Hypericum Perf helps pain in that area? I heard that b/c of numerous nerve endings that are in the area, this may help.

sorry I'm not so "up" on all this info. I have never had any problems until now and am just learning. I'm 25 and just recently learned that i can't eat pizza and drink cokes forever b/c of the repercussions on my bod.

Ah, to be young again


Pizza and cokes.
You are looking at tons of cheese which would relate to problems with bowel movements and coke which will eat your stomach, eat your teeth, and is filled with sugar. Go look at your teeth in a mirror in the sun light and I bet that you have coke lines in them, hair line cracks. In grade school, way back when, when we were walking five miles in the snow to school and back we did a science experiment. We put a piece of steak in a pie pan and poured a can of coke over it. It ate the pan, and all of the meat in one week's time. Imagine what it does to your insides.

You are lucky, you are 25 and it is the age of technology. You have the internet at your fingertips and can read about all of the health problems that people encounter with age and injury and can do what it takes to slow the process or to avoid certain conditions.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
opinions on pain management clinics??? oddie Pain Management 11 06-03-2009 02:09 PM
New to board--lower back/hip/leg pain Angelinchat2 Back Problems 5 03-27-2009 04:41 PM
left leg thigh numbness/ lower back pain TSvette Back Problems 2 11-03-2008 09:06 PM
Tailbone Pain Elaine444 Osteoporosis 8 04-13-2008 06:57 PM
I am DESPERATE to find a good pain doc in Tacoma Wa. PLEASE! SOPHIABELLA Pain Management 28 01-10-2008 12:25 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



flipfleury (33), solofelix (26), Babygirl43 (19), rufous57 (18), ladybud (16), quincy (15), sonray (15), TacomaGuy (14), sjb (13), nomorefissure (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!