It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User
Fibercon or Metamucil?

I have lately been experiencing constipation as a side effect of some medication I have to take, and also probably as a result of a low carb diet. I realize I probably need more fiber, and am wondering if there is a real difference between fibercon and metamucil, which one is better? I think I would prefer the Fibercon pills, because of fewer carbs, (I really want to stick to my diet), but if Metamucil is better, maybe I should go with that. Also, are these products safe to take over a long period of time? How about Milk of Magnesia? I have read that it is not a stimulant, so is it safe for long term use? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: Fibercon or Metamucil?

I think Benefiber is the best if you want more fiber in your diet. It's very low in carbs so you don't have to worry about that. You can put it on any food and you can't even taste it. Not so with Metamucil, it's to gritty. The disadvantage is it's more expensive.

They are safe to take over a long period of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Fibercon or Metamucil?

Nanner,
Metamucil is a water soluble fiber supplement that is a bulk stool forming agent. It come in powder, caps or wafers. It absorbs liguid and certainly is not gritty. The active ingredient is psyllium seed husk. It is safe to use daily forever. It is a natural fiber so it does digest and ferment and cause gas when you first start using it but the gas will go away with continued use. Just make sure you drink enough water with each dose like the direction say.
Fibercon is an Insoluble fiber supplement.
Milk of Magnesia is magnesium hydroxixe like Freelax that is in a pill form-- an Osmotic Laxative and is OK for occational use but still a laxative and is not safe for long term use.

A person need 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily to make their intestines function properly. I have found that if you get about 5 to 7 grams from Psyllium then you will have normal BMs w/o straining and Gentle. All fiber is not the same?? You have to get the rest from veggies or low carb fruits.

The problem with low carb diets is that ALL meat as well as all seafood and dairy products like cheese contains NO fiber so you should supplement your diet with a fiber supplement that is safe. That is why you are constipated!!!

I don't really know about Benefiber -- I have never used it but it is hard to believe a liquid that you can see thru is a Fiber-- it's active ingredient Guar Gum that affects some people differently. I don't think it has been on the market long enough to know if it's safe or not for long term use.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread