It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #1

shellygootz HB User
Question what foods are high in fructose?

My 5 year old was just told he has to eliminate high fructose foods from his diet. This is after being told to eliminate dairy then high fat foods.... Stomach cramping and diarreah for 6 months trying to figure out what's causing it........ Can't find a list online of high fructose foods ......... can anyone out there help me?

Last edited by shellygootz; 03-25-2004 at 02:48 PM. Reason: too much spacing

Old 03-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: what foods are high in fructose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellygootz
My 5 year old was just told he has to eliminate high fructose foods from his diet. This is after being told to eliminate dairy then high fat foods.... Stomach cramping and diarreah for 6 months trying to figure out what's causing it........ Can't find a list online of high fructose foods ......... can anyone out there help me?
Fructose can be found in sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup, soda, fruit juices, candy and certain canned foods. It also occurs naturally in apples, peaches, pears and oranges. It's best to read the labels.

Fructose intolerance involves several non-specific symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain and tension, gas, excess belching and diarrhea, Rao said.

Due to the general nature of these symptoms, it is very important for people experiencing such symptoms to speak with their physician so the condition can be accurately tested and treated.

Fructose intolerance can be diagnosed by a breath test, making the condition very easy to diagnose.

Fructose intolerance can also be an inherited trait, but symptoms would have been noticed much much earlier than just 6 months ago. With Inherited Fructos Intolerance, an abnormal gene from each parent is required to cause the disease. People with only one abnormal gene in the gene pair are called carriers, but since the gene is recessive they do not exhibit the disease. In other words, the normal gene of the pair can supply the function of the gene so that the abnormal gene is described as acting in a recessive manner. BOTH parents must be carriers in order for a child to have symptoms of the disease; a child who inherits the gene from one parent will be a carrier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellygootz
Another thing I wanted to mention...

You mentioned that you tried eliminating dairy already. Did that include ALL dairy? Chocolate, margarine/butter, baked goods and most bread and bread products have dairy in them. So if you are doing a true dairy elimination, it's important to eliminate all sources of dairy, even foods that contain milk solids or milk ingredients, otherwise you aren't getting a true result.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #4

maggie39 HB User

Katyana
There are breath test that can be performed for both lactose intolerance and fructose intolerance. I would think for a child this would be a good idea, rather than just eliminating because these are foods that are important for health IF they can be digested. The tests involve giving the patient a drink with either lactose or fructose, then they measure the amount of hydrogen gas in the breath. (Undigested sugar in the gut is consumed by bacteria which produce gas as a byproduct). The symptoms for both lactose and frustose intolerance are very similar. It's difficult to do the elimination diet to determine which one (or both) is the culprit because it's VERY hard to eliminate either one completely from your diet - especially the fructose since it's hidden in so many things! You have to read labels very carefully.
I have fructose intolerance, but am OK with dairy.
Fructose inolerance is more complicated that lactose intolerance. There are several different mechanisms for it. It can be caused by a lack of either of two enzymes needed to digest it. OR it can be caused by a defect in the "transport" system that moves the molocules out of the gut into the cells. There have been studies that have shown that the presence of glucose in equal or greater amounts than the fructose can help aid in the digestion. So for example, things like sweet potatoes and apples have more fructose than glucose so they give me the "trots". But bananas, even though they are high in fructose have even more glucose, and I find I can tolerate a small amount. I find that I can't digest whole wheat either because the germ contains fructose, but not enough glucose (white flour is fine). Sugar is one glucose and one fructose molocule. People who are extremely fructose intolerance can't have any fructose at all - which means no sugar, honey, almost all fruits, many vegies. The university of Iowa has a very good website on what they call "dietary" fructose intolerance (as opposed to the much more serious and life threatening hereditary fructose intolerance). I'll look up the website and post again.
I spent over ten years suffering from what I was told was IBS. But once I figured out it was fructose intolerance I've been doing really well!
I discovered mine through the elimination diet, but I really think for a child he/she should try the breath test. It really is so hard to eliminate everything - even now a year later, I still am discovering things I can and can't have.
Maggie

Old 03-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #5

maggie39 HB User

Here's the link - this is a very informative website. There are others if you do a search, but many of them refer more to Hereditary Fructose Intolerance, which is different.
Their list of foods is pretty good, but I've found a few on their OK to eat list that cause me problems. I started out by going two weeks without eating anything that had even a remote chance of having fructose - mainly meat and salad with just oil & vinegar dressing, plain bread (watch out for honey, sugar or corn syrup in it!). Then slowly added stuff. Also, remember that it can take up to 72 hours for food to get through the "plumbing" so when he has a problem, it could be anything he ate in the previous three days! Keep a good detailed diary.
Good luck

[url]http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/[/url]

Old 09-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
(male)

obiwan101 HB User

Back in the early 1980's after visiting numerous pre-iminent Gastroenterologoists(John Hopkins, Stanford, UCSF) I found on my own of my fructose malabsorbation condition(so called high fructose corn syrup and sorbitol) being the worst offenders. The medical community is only now beginning to come out of their haze on this disorder. Not surprised as it took them 20 years to wake up to ulcers being caused by a bacterial infection(some Aussie Docs knew this in 1979 and just recently were awarded the Nobel Prize). Of course "established" medicine excoriated these Doctors for many years. Never and I mean never trust 100 percent the opinion of any Doctor. They can be as ignorant as the rest of us but where they can be devastating is that we are conditioned to trust them and many suffer needlessly for years(and many others die) because of their faulty diagnoses and their refusal to listen carefully to their patients.

Closed Thread