It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #1

ohly73 HB User
Bad Breath(Please Help)

I was wondering if anyone has had this situation. Sometimes I have bad breath but I'm positive my dental hyguen is ok. For instance, when I eat certain food it seems that sometimes when I speak(or exhale deeply) my breath smells like a 'burp' or a 'belch' or even like bad gas eminating from my stomach. I have read that poor digestion can lead to putrified food in the intestine that produces gas. Can this gas make its way up the esophogus and out the mouth resulting in foul smelling breath. I've read that the stomach is very rarely the problem for bad breath. It seems the more regular my bowel movements the less I notice this problem.

How can I find out if my digestion is the problem. I'm going to try to do some internal cleansing. What is the best way to approach this. I've been eating more yogurt lately to try to regain the intestinal flora in my stomach.

This doesn't happen all the time but it is extremely embarrassing when it does.

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: Bad Breath(Please Help)

*courtesy of an internet search*

More than 90 million people suffer from chronic halitosis or bad breath. In most cases it originates from the gums and tongue. The odor is caused by bacteria from the decay of food particles, other debris in your mouth, and poor oral hygiene. The decay and debris produce a sulfur compound that causes the unpleasant odor.

What causes bad breath and what can be done about it?
Bad breath is primarily caused by poor oral hygiene, but can also can be caused by retained food particles or gum disease. Proper brushing including brushing the tongue, cheeks, and the roof of the mouth will remove bacteria and food particles. Flossing removes accumulated bacteria, plaque and food that may be trapped between teeth. Mouth rinses are effective in temporary relief of bad breath. Consult your dentist and/or physician if the condition persists.

Does bad breath come from other sources than the mouth?
Bad breath also may occur in people who have a medical infection, gum disease, diabetes, kidney failure, or a liver malfunction. Xerostomia (dry mouth) and tobacco also contribute to this problem. Cancer patients who undergo radiation therapy may experience dry mouth. Even stress, dieting, snoring, age and hormonal changes can have an effect on your breath. An odor that comes from the back of your tongue may indicate post-nasal drip. This is where the mucus secretion, which comes from the nose and moves down your throat, gets stuck on the tongue and causes an odor. Bad breath originating in the stomach, however, is considered to be extremely rare.

Why is saliva so important in the fight against bad breath?
Saliva is the key ingredient in your mouth that helps keep the odor under control because it helps wash away food particles and bacteria, the primary cause of bad breath. When you sleep, however, salivary glands slow down the production of saliva allowing the bacteria to grow inside the mouth. To alleviate "morning mouth," brush your teeth and eat a morning meal. Morning mouth also is associated with hunger or fasting. Those who skip breakfast, beware because the odor may reappear even if you've brushed your teeth.

Do certain foods cause bad breath?
Very spicy foods, such as onions and garlic, and coffee may be detected on a person's breath for up to 72 hours after digestion. Onions, for example, are absorbed by the stomach and the odor is then excreted through the lungs. Studies even have shown that garlic rubbed on the soles of the feet can show up on the breath.

How do I control bad breath?
It is important to practice good oral hygiene, such as brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day. To alleviate the odor, clean your tongue with your toothbrush or a tongue scraper, a plastic tool that scrapes away bacteria that builds on the tongue. Chewing sugar-free gum also may help control the odor. If you have dentures or a removable appliance, such as a retainer or mouthguard, clean the appliance thoroughly before placing it back in your mouth. Before you use mouth rinses, deodorizing sprays or tablets, talk with your dentist because these products only mask the odor temporarily, and some products work better than others.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-26-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Go to the "open to all health related topics board". There is a thread there with the subject, bad breath has altered my personality. There are 345 responses.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

If your still around, try a water pic. I have deep pockets in my gums and
all the brushing and flossing in the world doesn't get the food out like a water pic does. It is well worth the money to have fresh breath.

Closed Thread