It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 AM   #1

Asna HB User
Thin Light Brown Stool

I have a question.. Last week I was having some stomach cramping so I went to the ER and they thought it could be constipation and told me to take Senokot and a stool softener. I took that for about a week once a day and the cramping was getting bad and I was having bowel movement everyday (small amount though) So I stopped taking it and didn't think I needed it. I actually didn't think I had constipation in the first place since I was regular but the doc. just said it could be that since the x-ray showed some stool in the intestines. Anways I haven't been taking any laxative or stool softener for four days now and I have had a a bowel movement everyday but very little, and the thing that is different is that it is thinner than normal, and is not too hard or soft. However, I do have to push quite a bit to just have that little bit come out. I have no blood in stool and the abdominal pain is gone too. I am just worried abou the stool being thinner. It is a little bit thicker than a pencil, and also wondering why I am not having a big bowel movement since I am eating regularly and eat healthy (fiber, fruits and vegetables, and all the good stuff)

Anyone know if I should be concerned or let it go. Also I have never had problems with IBS and usually had two bowel movements a day that were regular size.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #2

Asna HB User
Re: Thin Light Brown Stool

Anyone have any answers...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

There are 2 types of fiber--- soluble and insoluble. The insoluble type passes through your intestines and produces a thin type stool. The fiber that is soluble absorbs fluid and bulks up the size of a stool. As you may know all meat, seafood and dairy products have NO fiber.

I take a water soluble fiber supplement twice daily to make me regular w/o much straining--- psyllium. It comes in powder, capsules and wafers. A person needs 20 to 30 grams of fiber daily to have normal BMs.

Cramping and spasms in any muscle in your body is usually caused by lack of magnesium and calcium. You need it anyway to prevent Osteoporosis along with vitamin D for calcium absorption.....

Last edited by Harry; 05-06-2004 at 12:47 PM.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #4

Asna HB User

Thanks for the reply ... that should explain it. I have been eating a lot of wheat bran so that is why the stool is thinner.

I hope that's why..

Old 05-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Wheat bran is an insoluble fiber--- it will cause BMs but does not absorb fluid resulting in a thinner stool --- you're right!!!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-06-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #6

Asna HB User

So I guess i should add oatbran to my diet to bulk up my stool. I am now having like four or maybe even five bowel movements in a day. Stomach feels okay...justa little uneasy at times.

Oatbran is a soluble fiber that would bulk up the stool right?

Closed Thread