It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #1

Drizzt HB User
Exclamation Rectal Pain and Rancid Smell

Alright, I have a series problem that I can't seem to find an answer to. My symptoms include: constipation, horrid feces smell during a bowel movement, aura of feces smell in general, inflamatory rectal pain, and abnormal stool color/texture.

I have also noticed a bad smell emanating from my rectum, it occurs even after I shower. The smell is similar to B.O. but a lot more offensive. The problem is, other people notice it too and I can't cover it up with deodorant. I've dropped out of school as a result. My bowel movements are also abnormally smelly and have strange form and texture.

I went to my primary care doctor and she referred me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist performed a flexible sigmoidoscopy and didn't notice anything. I went back and got a c-scan, all they noticed was that I was constipated. The gastroenterologist then refered me to a rectal surgeon. The surgeon seems to think that my hemoroids are the cause so I'm in the process of having them removed. The thing is, I've had two hemoroids removed and I've noticed no improvement. I honestly don't think hemoroids are to blame and I can't afford this many $20 co-pays.

Last edited by Drizzt; 08-20-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
(male)

resection HB User
Re: Rectal Pain and Rancid Smell

There is already a thread working on your issue or a similar one. called Feces body odor by a poster named Gearman.

They stick flexible sigmoid cameras up there all of the time, and people do not come back with the situation you are describing. So, a pen by itself probably is not the cause if as you say you have been to a doc and they do not see signs of trauma and/or blood going out. I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree. Of course, I would suggest you not do that sort of stuff.

I am not going to lecture you on your orientation or habits, and I will try not be judgemental. This is just pure grown up advice:

Do not put sharp objects up there. Do not put things up there that can get lost. You only got one body, don't "F" it up. Period. That includes suicide. This can and probably will get figured out and resolve itself.

Is it possible that the pen aggravated an underlying problem, or perhaps some other activity you might have engaged in, but would rather not share, is behind the problem.

Whether you choose to share all of your activities on a board is one thing, but you have to be honest with your doc. The internet is a big source of information, and the gay and lesbian communities are quite active. If this is a lifestyle issue, surely, there is a yellow pages or doctor's referral type situation that will connect you with less judgemental docs.

My guess is that your doc has not come across this problem, rather than not wanting to treat you. Docs see it all and are probably a lot less judgemental as it relates to most things, but they are people too with prejudice just the same. Frequently it is the patients with hard to nail down symptoms and especially the ones that are impossible to diagnosis that frustrate docs. My guess is someone will treat you, and treat you like a person. If this doc doesn't have a clue get a new one.

Also, as a suggestion, you might just want to try a really conservative lifestyle for awhile. Don't make it hard for the docs. Too many moving pieces reduce medicine from science to art. You may have introducing an active bacteria that just produces a lot of foul smelling byproduct. Much of what makes poop stink comes from bacterial digestion (the bacteria's poop). Not all bacteria in the gut is good.

You probably cannot treat that on your own. Just stop doing all of the things that you did say three to four months prior to this problem and start working the docs.

I don't think anyone on the other thread will give you a hard time. They are all in the same boat.

Peace,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I agree with resection man but you can change the bacteria in your Gastro system to a good friend type by eating yogurt and taking a probiotic supplement twice daily-- Like PB-8, Primal Defense or L Reuteri culture that you can buy online. It is not uncommon to be constipated and it smell real bad. Hemorrhoid are caused by mainly Constipation -- not the other way around!!!

I think you should also start taking a water soluble fiber supplement daily like Metamucil. It is a safe natrual fiber laxative that can be taken daily w/lots of water.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #4

Drizzt HB User

The reason that I don't believe that I have a bacteria is because of the inflamatory pain, this pain is very consistent.

And what other thread were you talking about?

Thanks both of you for the feedback.

Last edited by Drizzt; 08-20-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Old 05-07-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
(male)

resection HB User

"Feces body odor" by a poster named Gearman

I think it is on page two. But, you can also search on "Gearman". Sorry about the reaction, I am not trying to paint you any way. Don't think the prostate would have a smell, but it could hurt. Don't rule out (bacterial) infection as a cause of inflamation and pain.

Just trying to be helpful.

Good luck,

RS

Closed Thread