It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #1

jayhawk88 HB User
Perianal Cyst Question

Just got back from seeing a colon rectal surgeon. He said I have a perianal cyst(possibly an abscess, although he said I should have a fever with that), and am set up to have it surgically drained and removed on Monday. His bedside manner is horrible, but I can't get in to see anyone else in the near future. Anyone had this done? I've never had any kind of surgery before, so I don't know what to expect? I thought it seemed a bit drastic. Can't I just get a shot of penicillin? What are the possible complications involved? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 09:17 AM   #2

nitsirk71 HB User
Re: Perianal Cyst Question

A few years ago I was having a lot of pain whenever I sat down and went to the doctor for it. I found out it was a cyst and it was located towards the top of the butt crack. Although I'm not sure exactly where your cyst is located I can tell you what they did for mine and I hope it helps a little. The doctor gave me a local anestetic then made a small cut in the cyst to drain it. They then put gauze in the space left from the cyst to keep it from closing up too soon. I had to take the packing out after so many days and I have to say that was by far the most painful part of the whole thing. I had trouble walking normal for awhile after the surgery and I would advise getting some really puffy pillows or even one of those donut pillows to sit on for awhile after the surgery. I remember laying on my side most of the time to keep the pressure of my bottom. Again, I'm not sure if your surgery will be the same but I just wanted to let you know what I experienced and I hope everything goes well for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #3

jayhawk88 HB User
Re: Perianal Cyst Question

Thanks Nitsirk,

Mine's lower down. They are giving me general anaesthesia, which makes me a little nervous, as I have never been under before. Otherwise it sounds about the same as yours. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so I think I'll deal with it ok. No golf for at least 3 weeks though! My biggest fear is possible complications from surgery, and that they won't get it all, and I'll have to do this again.

Thanks again for your response,

Joel

Closed Thread