It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

Missy7 HB User
Question Bloody diarrhea

Saturday night I had chicken salad at a restaurant. Within half hour of us leaving the place, diarrhea hit me so hard, I had to wrap toilet paper around my waist to control the sweating - not to mention the pain....(in public toilets..yikes!!)

The diarrhea continued all night - to the stage where I had nothing left in me. That's when I started bleeding from there. I must have gone to the toilet at least 10 times and the last 5 of these visits were just mucus mixed with a reasonable amount of red (not black or tarry) blood. I know I have internal haemmorrhoids as they scratch and bleed from time to time but I never noticed this much bleeding before. It really freaked me out. The diarrhea stopped the next day and I've been sticking to dry toast which has helped. I always had problems with constipation in the past so I haven't had a bowel movement since. It's been 2 days. Due to the constipation problems, I actually had a colonoscopy done about 6 months ago, which came back all clear.

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with diarrhea before? I'm convinced the diarrhea was caused by bacteria in the salad I had (food poisoning) but the blood made me think. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks heaps!!

Last edited by Missy7; 06-07-2004 at 11:52 PM.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 AM   #2

GOS1 HB User
Re: Bloody diarrhea

Hello,

Your post hit a cord because I had a very similar situation occur many years ago. Mine was also due to some "bad" chicken. My symptoms began with intense diarrhea that turned bloody and extreme cramps. I was admitted to the hospital and tested for food poisoning. It turned out it was salmonella. The blood was due to the severe infection and inflammation in my colon. It took a while to feel better but I did develop irritable bowel that I have to this day.

How are you feeling today? It might not be a bad idea to have your stools tested for infections bacteria, etc., just to be safe. I never want to have a reoccurance of that type of infection again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
(female)

Missy7 HB User
Re: Bloody diarrhea

Thank you for your reply. I haven't had any other episodes of dripping blood after that first night. I had a normal bowel movement couple of days after and it did contain some blood but it had almost clotted....obviously left over from the first time.

Curiosity got the better of me though and I ended up going to my doctor. After listening to my symptoms, she confirmed that I had food poisoning. She also did a rectal examination (I felt so violated) She said she could feel an inflamed haemmorrhoid and said that would be the culprit. She said to call her if it happened again but thankfully it hasn't. I have no doubt it was the darn chicken that made me so sick ..... I've been very careful ordering chicken at restaurants since.

Have a great day!!

Closed Thread