It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #1

ace052298 HB User
Unhappy anyone with ulcerative colitus

I thought this might be the appropriate board to post this on.

I have been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitus for a little over 2 years. I am 24. I know this can be a very dangerous and deadly disease if not taken care of right. I know that if I don't take care of it properly I could lose my colon. My dad had this in the 70s when technology wasn't as good. He got very sick and now has no colon. He has an illiostomy pouch attached to his small intestine and empties his bowels that way.

When I was first diagnosed, I was very sick. I had a little bloody diahreah and was throwing up. I just thought it was an intestinal flu. I didn't get any better. I was like that for 3 or 4 days. It finally got my attention when I had a major bowel movement, all liquid with a very definite red tint to it. I showed it to my parents and they took me to the emergency room immediatly. I was in the hospital for about 3 days because I was so dehydrated. I have had colonoscopy's every year since then and check ups every 6 months. The last colonoscopy done said I didn't have to have another one for 3 years. I am very happy about that.

I am on 2000mg of Sulfasalazine a day. 500mg every 6 hours.

I was just kinda hoping to find someone to talk to about it. I don't know anyone that has it. I just want a friend.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #2

Location: Outside of a small town in TX. I love it. Peace and quiet and down the road from my parents.
angnicmarie HB User
Re: anyone with ulcerative colitus

Hi! I was just recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after a colonoscopy. Mines not that bad yet, but I have experienced some horrific symptoms. Mine is due to 11 wks radiation. What are the two meds your on for? "specifically" If you don't mind me asking. Take care. Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #3

angelcj HB User

Hi Ace,
I was diagnosed in Aug. 03. I know how hard it is not having anyone with this to talk to. I have very supportive friends but they just can't relate to this. It is the most confusing disease. I can't figure out what foods to eat & what sets it off. Every day is different. As you can see about all I can offer you is support, since I am kept in constant confusion by this. I am still trying to get things under control. I am much better than I was in Aug. but still have a ways to go. I am determined to control it instead of it controlling me again. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated ;.) Hope you are doing well & I will be watching for your post when you need to talk... Take care & God Bless!!

Old 06-16-2004, 10:32 PM   #4

ace052298 HB User

My dad is very supportive since he already went through it. Unfortunatly he lost his colon. All my friends are very supportive, but they don't really understand what it's like. They all would be very willing to get me to the emergency room quick if something happened.

I'm only on one medicine, Sulfasalazine. I take 500mg every 6 hours. It is an antibiotic. I've learned the hard way not to miss a dose.

basically which a need to do to help you take care of yourself is to keep your stress level low. Stress can irritate your colon. Watch out for peanuts, basically any kind of nut, not peanut butter just whole nuts, kernel corn, anything like that. Stuff like that can get caught in your colon and irritate it. I've also been told to stay away from caffeine, but I'm drinking it and not having a problem. If your colon gets irritated it can cause bloody diarrhea. If that happens get to the emergency room fast. Whenever I've gone to the emergency room, they've usually put me on Prednisone, which is a type of steroid.

It did control me at first. I was scared of what I could and couldn't do. But over time I've learned to control it. I know it's scary, but don't let it scare you. That will only cause stress.

Nicole, what these horrific symptoms you've experienced, if you don't mind me asking. I'm curious what they were.

If either of you need to talk, I'm here. From looks of your posts, I've had more experience at this than either of you. From both me and what my dad went through.

Your friend in Christ,
Jon

Old 06-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #5

ace052298 HB User

Quick note. I am on more than just one med. The Sulfasalazine is the only med i'm on for this. the other meds are psychiatric. I have a mental illness. I am diagnosed Schitzoaffective. I also have asthma. I kinda have a full plate. So stress is a major issue for me.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:47 AM   #6

ace052298 HB User

I hadn't heard from either of you in a while. I was wondering how things were going with the two of you.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #7

pasquale HB User

Hi guys .I'm glad that I found this thread .I have been on meds for arthritis since I'm 22 .I am now 38 .Throughout my 16 years of taking meds for arthritis I've had a few bouts of bloody stools .When I was younger , a doctor said I was too young to be having stomach problems and he suggested I get more fibre in my diet .I took his advice and soon after I didnt have too many flare ups of bloody stools .I moved around quite a bit when I was 22 thru 26 therfore I didnt have a constant doctor to monitor my situation .Whenever bloody stools came up in conversation with a doctor it was always the same response ''oh , you need more fibre '' ....or ''your too young to be having stomach probs''etc....At one point , about 5 years ago I told my doctor that I thought my arthritis meds were causing my bloody stools .What he do ? He said , ''here , try celebrex'' So , for the past 5 years I've been taking celebrex with little or no bloody stools for long stretches .You would think my doc would say ''hey , y'know , you've been on meds for 16 years and have had intermittent bouts with bloody stools , maybe we should send you for some tests ,like a colonoscopy !''

I'll bring you up to speed . For the past 4 weeks I've had some pretty bad bloody bowel movements .The water in the toilet bowl isnt bright red ala symptoms of hemmorroids .When I first start to poo , the first things that come out is bloody diaherra/mucous , followed by irregular shaped stools mixed with some pebble shaped bloody stuff .This was pretty much the symptoms that I would get when going through bouts of ''bloddy stools'' when I was younger , except back then , it would go away .

The past 6 weeks have been extremely hectic in my life however .My wife and I have moved into a new apartment .She graduated from nursing school at about the same time .She had job interviews etc...etc... (sidenote , she landed two jobs , yippee!)During this time , we've had reason to celebrate .I rarely drink to begin with , but the few days prior to my stool incident , we were both ''livin it up '' a bit with a few beers or glasses of wine each evening for about 1 week straight .Now , with the added stress level of waiting for results of job interviews /moving and getting settled into new apartment /waiting for approval for personal loan /attending her graduation(I get nervous around crowds / people I dont know)and doing some drinking .I'm wondering if all the stress and the uncharacteritic drinking triggered something that is already there.... Perhaps ulcerative colitis ?

I've been racking my brains out trying to pin point my condition the past few weeks .Then I stumbled upon a website listing gatro diseases .I read each disease and finally came upon ulcerative colitis .I believe I have all the symtoms .......

I have an appointment with my doc this coming thursday to tell him I want some tests done ASAP .I may very well have had this disease for a long time and he has brushed aside my bloody stool concerns for too long for me to think its just ''lack of fibre''

thanks guys , and I'll be back to visit to keep you updated , til then , feel free to inform me of other symtoms that you guys have that I may have as well

Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #8

denniss HB User

hi,try colonics and enemas they really work,i did im gald i did.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:41 PM   #9

pasquale HB User

Just diagnosed today with UC ......and its pretty much what my hunch was as I headed for colonoscopy
I suspect I've had it since early 20 's (I'm now 38)
My symtoms come and go (bloody stools/mucous/cramping/urgency)but I find if I take 2 -3 doses of metamucil a day as well as eat a few fruits after supper (instead of dessert)I can stay regular and typically avoid my symptoms .

This is all new to me too (not the symptoms of course) but actually being diagnosed and being given meds salofalk 500mg 6 tabs a day .I'm curious to see what the medication does for me .

coffee ? yiikes , I dont drink a whole lot of coffee , but I really enjoy 1 , and only 1 in the morning .I'd have a hard time giving it up

Old 09-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
(female)

codyjoe HB User

This the first time I've gone to a message board. My husband went through 9 weeks of radiation for prostate cancer last year and had no problems for almost a year. 6 weeks ago he started bleeding internally. He is scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks to see what the problem is, but thus far they think it is from the radiation. I've read a few of the messages regarding 2 kinds of treatmenst. Steriods and the antibiotic, Sulfasalazine.

Is there a cure or is this someting that you have to live with for the rest of your life?
He has been very depressed since we went to the doctor. Is there a special diet?

Thanking you all in advance for your replys,
Codyjoe

Closed Thread