It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 10:41 PM   #1

kriskirk HB User
Hemorrhoids Back After Surgery?

Hi,

Has anyone here had a hemorrhoidectomy only to find the hemorrhoids come back within a few years? In my case, I had the op in 2000 and now I have at least one (though I suspect more) come back and start causing me problems.

My doc says this is very unusual as most people who have the operation never have problems again. Also all the reading I've done on hemorrhoidectomies suggests it's a permanent solution.

Has anyone actually had multiple hemorrhoidectomies? I heard that that the amount of scar tissue that forms can be a problem. I'm wondering exactly how bad this can be.

Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Hemorrhoids Back After Surgery?

Kris,
I think most people that have hemorrhoid surgery have such a bad time that they find out what causes them and take action so that they will not have to go through that surgery again.

A person's rectum is about 8 inches long and it is loaded with veins that any one of which can lose it's elasticity and become a roid --- it seems only logical that you can get hemorrhoids multiple times!!!

Humans are the only mammals that ever get hemorrhoids so it is believed that diet is a major contributing factor. The biggest problem is constipation/ straining --- so you have to learn how not to ever get constipated (inadequate intake of FIBER). There are other causes like lifting and not only heavy lifting, pro-long standing, obesity, lack of exercise and there others.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 01:40 AM   #3

kriskirk HB User
Re: Hemorrhoids Back After Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Kris,
I think most people that have hemorrhoid surgery have such a bad time that they find out what causes them and take action so that they will not have to go through that surgery again.

A person's rectum is about 8 inches long and it is loaded with veins that any one of which can lose it's elasticity and become a roid --- it seems only logical that you can get hemorrhoids multiple times!!!

Humans are the only mammals that ever get hemorrhoids so it is believed that diet is a major contributing factor. The biggest problem is constipation/ straining --- so you have to learn how not to ever get constipated (inadequate intake of FIBER). There are other causes like lifting and not only heavy lifting, pro-long standing, obesity, lack of exercise and there others.

I wish you well---Harry
Hi Harry, thanks for the reply. I would love to know what's causing the hemorrhoids but I don't. The only times I've ever been constipated (that I can remember) were after the hemorrhoids formed, so it seems to be a sympton of them rather than their cause. Apart from that, I can't think what else I could be doing to cause them. I do sit a lot as I work in front of a computer, but lots of people do. I'm relatively young (32), fit and otherwise healthy apart from these dang 'roids!

My doc doesn't have an answer for me either, so I guess I'm just a medical mystery! Of all the areas to have unusual problems in, it had to be there!!!

Kris

Closed Thread