It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
(male)

L.B. HB User
Question When you take metamucil, is it normal......

Is it normal to get bloated and get gas just from taking one dose of metamucil? Becuz I noticed that when I just take one dose, it seems like I get bloated, and gas.

Last edited by L.B.; 07-12-2004 at 03:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: When you take metamucil, is it normal......

It is not unusual-- Metamucil contains Psyllium which is a natrual fiber that absorbs alot of water and expands rapidly, it digests, ferments and forms gas. Some people are more sensitive than others-- many of us react differently. My wife takes it in a capsual form so it get to the intestines before working.

When starting to use it, you should start off at a low dose if using the powder form then increase it as your system gets use to it--- and usually the GAS goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #3

tenngal31 HB User

yes it is normal i also use it twice a day bloating and gas is usual with this

Old 07-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

ditto

It can sometimes help to adjust WHEN you take it. Is there a particular time of the day that the gas is worse? Are your bm's regular?

Are you taking the one with aspartame? For many, aspartame is a gut irritant and can cause bloating and gas. The body doesn't use it very well.

quincy

Old 07-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

ftlaudmom HB User

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a cancerous tumor in my colon that makes things harder to move through and subsequently there is constipation. I took metamucil last night and had planned to continue until my surgery (Aug 5th). I felt as if I was 5 months pregnant by the time I went to bed and the bloated feeling was just unbearable. I drank some warm ginger tea (i get it in the ethnic section of my supermarket) and it helped the gas to pass through. I still had some gas this morning when I woke up. I think I'll not take anymore of this. The constipation is better.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

It gave me gas too. I find that oatmeal for breakfast does exactly what the metamucil is taken for without gass and bloating. It just takes longer to boil oatmeal than it to throw down metamucil. Try it, oatmeal doesn't cost much(isn't covered by any drug plan though )

Closed Thread