It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
(male)

ken1967 HB User
stomach pains after colon resection surgery

i had colon resection surgery back in sept and then december 03 and im now expiriencing stomach pains, at first it was on my right side and the doc thought it might be gall bladder however the abdominal ultrasound came back negative and now the paisn are all over and it hurts when i eat, also bowel movements have slowed down and also i have to strain when i do have a bm, the spots where my incisions are ( i had full surgery not lap) and where the colostomy are are tender, now the doc thinks it might be scar tissue and or adhesions, just wondering if any of you have had these problems and if so did you find out what the pains were from

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
(male)

ken1967 HB User
Re: stomach pains after colon resection surgery

wow 29 views and no answers,lol thats not good odds,lol anyways went to the gi doc today and hes sending me for blood work, another cat scan and a hida scan, just wondering if anyone can explain what a hida scan is exactly and how does it feel and how long did it take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

There are always lots more views than responses. I'm guilty of it myself . . . when I know nothing about the problem or don't have anything constructive to say, what do you do? You can't erase the view.

Anyway, pain started in my left side a couple of months after resection/reconnection surgeries and continued for a couple of months (maybe up to about six). One doctor said it was scar tissue (others gave a blank stare and said it was nothing). Mine didn't move around though and was in an area when I was told they had clamped stuff out of the way during surgery. And it is not more than three years later and it has not recurred.

Some of your symptoms sound like they might be something you are eating. Do you notice any relation between food and problems? Watch the straining . . . take fiber supplements, water, yogurt, whatever to keep things moving!

Old 07-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
(male)

ken1967 HB User

i was just half joking about no replies but i do thank you, the pains(very dull) originated on my right side alittle below my ribs and level with my belly button then moved to my left side ,in the areas of my 2 incisions, the odd thing is i sometimes wake up with the pains , sometimes dont, i havent reallypin pointed what if any foods etc trigger them, i have a very simple diet andusually dont stray from it although i did cheat 3 weeks ago and had a half of a meatball and cheese calzone and the next day is when this all started, thats why the docs are leading towards gallbladder,i do take fiber con and recently switched to metamucil,i drinks tons of water and eat yogurt, i was always a meat n potatoes kinda guy but im now slowly putting lettuce and tomatoes on my food, funnything is when i have a bowl of cheerios the other day my belly blew up and was distended, later i had a cheeseburger and it settled my stomach, i would have thought the opposite effects of the 2 foods would have occured, well i went to the gi doc yesterday and he ordered blood work,another cat scan with contrast dye and im going for a hida scan tommorow, i have little knowledge of what a hida scan feels like so if you or anyone could share that with me id appreciate it

Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

My pain was dull, too, so (I'm no doctor, of course) maybe it would be worth waiting it out to see what happens (if it's bearable and things don't get worse).

I found my sensitivity to certain foods changes/diminished in the couple of years since surgery, so re-test things from time to time. (Before the operation, I really never noticed any food really bothering me that way they have afterwards.) But your comment about Cheerios doesn't surprise me at all. You've got two of my most persistent problem foods there - wheat (yes, there is wheat in there with the oats) and milk (I do fine with yogurt and hard and soft cheeses, but not plain milk).

Old 06-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
(female)

babergman HB User

I had emergency rt hemi colectomy in april. In May i was back in the hospital for 3 days due to stomach cramping and was told I had a partial obstructed small intestine obstruction due to adhesions from the surgery and from an infected abcess that developed. I see you had your surgery in sept, how are you doing today?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
(female)

kitnkate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1967
i was just half joking about no replies but i do thank you, the pains(very dull) originated on my right side alittle below my ribs and level with my belly button then moved to my left side ,in the areas of my 2 incisions, the odd thing is i sometimes wake up with the pains , sometimes dont, i havent reallypin pointed what if any foods etc trigger them, i have a very simple diet andusually dont stray from it although i did cheat 3 weeks ago and had a half of a meatball and cheese calzone and the next day is when this all started, thats why the docs are leading towards gallbladder,i do take fiber con and recently switched to metamucil,i drinks tons of water and eat yogurt, i was always a meat n potatoes kinda guy but im now slowly putting lettuce and tomatoes on my food, funnything is when i have a bowl of cheerios the other day my belly blew up and was distended, later i had a cheeseburger and it settled my stomach, i would have thought the opposite effects of the 2 foods would have occured, well i went to the gi doc yesterday and he ordered blood work,another cat scan with contrast dye and im going for a hida scan tommorow, i have little knowledge of what a hida scan feels like so if you or anyone could share that with me id appreciate it

Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
(female)

kitnkate HB User

Hi, I am about 7 months into a resection and am happy to see that there is a site for this because I had the full incision surgery due to an emergency situation. I have pain near the resection site that feels worse when I bend over. It rebounds or feels like sometime is touching me from the inside. I think the bloating is normal after diet changes. What was your resection for?

Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
(male)

Gaylord67 HB User

I had a temporary ostamy then resected (reversed) for diviticulitis. The resection was in Feb 2005.
I still have minor aches in my sides on occasion. It also is under both sides under boh ribcages, Ive worried about it a lot before. But most folks say it takes a year for it to get back to normal? Any of yall feel this minor discomfort> below your ribs?

The Following User Says Thank You to Gaylord67 For This Useful Post:
johnbuddhasiri (12-04-2011)
Closed Thread