It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #1

PTS100 HB User
My first Post! Hello all, I was just diagonosed with Diverticulosis....

I'm young at 28, but it is very prevelent in my family. Of course, I only found this out recently after I started asking around. I wish I had know this when I was younger as I could have upped my fiber intake.

Anyhow, my symptoms have been diahrea, gas and many BM's every day (3-5). Many BM's are actually just mucus and gas.... I consider my diet to be OK and take pretty good care of myself (6'/ 190 lbs/ 10% BF) as I workout and play team sports such as soccer, softball, etc... I have a very fast metabolism and have been known to be called the "human garbage disposal". When I was younger, I could eat anything and everything with no issues. Around the age of 21 or so that began to change. I was intially diagnosed with IBS and just sort of put up with it. Of course, I have made some dietary changes and do not gorge myself like I used to. Lately, my symptoms have been worse and more of an inconvienence as I travel more for business.

So I had my 1st colonoscopy yesterday and was diagnosed with diverticulosis. I will also be getting an upper GI check by downing some Barium next month. My GI also took a sample to check for Colotis.

I just wanted to introduce myself as I will no doubt be on this board pretty often from here on out.

My first question is everyone's preference on Fiber Supplements: Metamucil, Citrucel, etc?

TKS

Jeff

Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Inactive

CDauthier HB User
Re: My first Post! Hello all, I was just diagonosed with Diverticulosis....

Jeff, Sorry to hear about diagnosis...if it makes you feel any better, the majority of the population should one day have it if they live long enough. Husband was diagnosed with it also bout 5 years ago. It seems at that time, there wasn't much information on diverticulosis so we just kind of picked up on things along the way...the fiber, of course, we now know is extremely important. He took metamucil for a couple of years but found it caused heartburn in his case...so he quit...big mistake. He now has colostomy from a resection but will have the colostomy reversed August 3rd. During the resection episode last year (it wasn't prettty), one of the docs told us Citrucel is better as it doesn't cause as much gas, etc.. But just keep trying them all until you find one that works for you. Take the fiber EVERY DAY, WITHOUT FAIL!! And, I'm sure you know there is a lot of contraversy regarding seeds... Just had colonoscopy myself last week and I have it (diveritculosis) too...colon/rectal surgeon told me tomatoes, squash, etc..would be o'kay...but I should stay away from nuts... There again, you are the best one to know what you can tolerate. You are young to have been diagnosed. I have since learned that the younger you are when you are diagnosed, the more agressive the treatment. As it runs in your family, I'm sure you know when you have lower pain, especially on the left side = get you butt to a doctor. And thanks for your post...just remember 30 year old son telling me he has a lot of diahrea...will nag him til he gets a colonoscopy....will be better for him to know now if he has it. I'll blame the nagging on you, if that's o'kay! Take care, Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #3

PTS100 HB User
Re: My first Post! Hello all, I was just diagonosed with Diverticulosis....

Cathy,

I'm sorry to hear your husband is undergoing some problems. Thanks for the information and yes, nag nag nag your son! I have already started Citrucel doses and went shopping for some higher fiber foods. The cereals honestly look pretty gross (Fiber one and all bran) but a got a box of one of them to try. I guess I could always add some splenda to it to make it tolerable. I also got some shredded wheat cereal, which is pretty good. Many things are easy to buy and eat. For example, I found some high fiber bread at 5 grams a slice. It tastes just as good as the regular wheat bread I'm used to eating.

I should be hearing back from my GI this week on the biopsy he took in order to check for colitis. I assume that will come back negative, but I really wish to talk to him further about my condition.

I know what you mean about certain foods and differing opinions. I've never really ate a lot of nuts, so that's no problem. However, I love tomatoes and can not have a burger, chicked sandwhich, salad, etc without them. They do not seem to affect me, so I'll just play that one by ear.

Thanks again for the response and good luck to your husband!

Take care

Jeff

Last edited by moderator4; 07-19-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Quote not needed.

Closed Thread