It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Colonoscopy prep and nausea

Could anybody tell me if nausea goes along with this liquid diet for colonoscopy?? I have been on liquids only since getting up this morning and I am nauseaus to the point where I think I will vomit if I drink anything else. I don't even start my phospho-soda til tonight and I am afraid I will throw it up. I know I am nauseaus because of the empty stomach, have tried jello, yuck, am going to try some broth. And my procedure is scheduled for 2 p.m. tomorrow, I hope I can make it.

Old 07-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User
Re: Colonoscopy prep and nausea

Yeah, I felt nauseous, and I puke from the phospho-soda anyway, but I have a weak stomach. So if you're like me, you'll probably puke from the taste. Sorry I'm not so encouraging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

did the puking affect your having your test though?? If I puke up the solution I don't get the prep accomplished. UGH this really is no fun

Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User

Well, I held it down as long as possible, and then I had to throw up. Now it might not be that way for you, but I have a really weak stomach. what I did was take a little at a time, in case I did throw up some, I'd still have something to go through the prep. I'm sorry if I scared you, just because I threw up doesnt mean you will, so think positive.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

well I didn't throw up last nights dose, but I have to say it was the absolute grossest stuff I have ever drank before. I just took this mornings dose with ginger ale and it wasn't much better. I just want this over with and then I am going straight to Wendys for a frosty-hahaha

Old 07-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

damaged_tirips HB User

Haha. When I first took the phospho-soda, I was in the hospital and the nurse mixed it with Sprite. Ever since then, I get absolutely queasy at the thought of Sprite now. I prefer to just hold my nose and gulp it. UGHUGH

I hope all goes well for you!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

that stuff is absolutely nasty, thank god you don't need to drink a lot of it. I think I would rather just mix it with water, it made me sick to drink anything else after, ugh. That is the worse part of the test, I didn't even go to the bathroom too much after I drank it, my daily diarrhea keeps me pretty empty.

Old 07-31-2004, 04:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Hi there just thought I'd add--
My experience with colonoscopy prep wasn't fun but who's is? I did a double prep as my problem is chronic constipation and didn't eat solid food for two days. Well by day two I was projectile vomiting phospho soda and tons of water. I had to call my doctor and go get magnesium citrate which wasn't much better but at least I wasn't throwing it up. Then I gave myself an enema that morning and I still wasn't completely cleaned out for the procedure but that was my experience. So if you ever have to have another one try the magnesium citrate to see if it helps your nausea at all. Good luck, hope everything turned out well!
Shawnee

Old 08-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh you poor thing, at least when I began my prep I was pretty much almost empty from my diarrhea. yeah I think I was so sick because of not eating for 2 days also. I did manage to hold down the phospho soda but just barely, I still cannot drink ginger ale again yet. The procedure went fine, got my results back today and its mainly IBS he said with collagenous colitis also. Now I gotta do my research on that.

Sandra

Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Dear Sandra-
Sorry to hear about the collagenous colitis even though I don't know what that is. I'm glad you're procedure went okay. I have the same feelings about clear watermelon gatorade as I tried mixing the phospho soda with that. Heck I think we could start a post just asking people what they can't even stand the sight of anymore because they mixed it with that nasty stuff! HOpe you're doing well, sorry my typing sucks, my joints are acting up. Well you take care!
Shawnee

Old 08-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I tried the watermelon gatorade too, ugh, next time I am just using ice cold water, fun stuff. Just glad its all over and now I can concentrate on getting better.Thanks for all your support.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:54 PM   #12

scotty2 HB User

I remember when I had my first colonoscopy 8 years ago. The doctor gave me the Fleet laxative. It's instructions called for drinking lots of water. Well after drinking it, it was so awful I couldn't drink enough water because around 4 AM the next morning, my heart was racing and I was sick as a dog. I ended up in the ER with high blood pressure and rapid pulse. I have hypertension and the Fleet is very high in sodium. I don't know why the doctor gave it to me. Since then they've given me Go Lightly which wasn't much better. The laxative I tolerated most was a citrus drink, the name of which I forget. Why can't they come up with a decent tasting laxative?

Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #13

sis22 HB User

i just had a colonoscopy yesterday.i felt sick to my stomach the whole day when i was drinking the miralax.finally i vomited and i felt alot better.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #14

Eaw1987 HB User

If the stuff your drinking is called Go-Lightly then you can mix it with any other liquid except for something red. I mixed mine with Ice Tea, and although it was still nasty I still held it down. I know your suppose to drink it every half hour but I didn't follow those rules, I took brakes. Maybe taking a brake could help?

Closed Thread