It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 02:01 PM   #1

Ann-Marie54 HB User
Fiber supplements for diverticulosis

I have just been diagnosed with diverticulosis. I have read many of the threads regarding increasing fiber. I have two questions. First, some folks are talking about taking metamucil for constipation. Why did my MD tell me to try metamucil if I have constant diarrhea? Also, I tried metamucil, and it is gross. I tried the unflavored because I have it for my dog. Disgusting!! Are there any pills I can take instead? I would rather pop a pill instead of gag on liquid.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Inactive

CDauthier HB User
Re: Fiber supplements for diverticulosis

Ann, The key to helping keep food particals out of the diverticulosis pouches is keeping your stool formed and consistent....soft, not hard or no diarrhea.....which will inturn help prevent flare-ups (infections) that are called diverticulitis. Hopefully, you haven't had diverticulitis yet. I was just diagnosed also with diverticulosis as will most people be if they live long enough. Only a small percentage of people experience the infections. We have several friends with severe flare-up from time to time and the only thing that saved them was religiously taking fiber such as metamucil every day, without fail. My husband had severe flare-ups and was too mocho to take the fiber for longer than a year....and ended up having a resection. There are many different forms on the market now...capsules, wafers, powders, etc...some without any taste, texture or flavor. Personally, I think the powder is the best. You might want to try citrucel. Gastro doc recommended it over metamucil as it doesn't cause as much gas. I find the taste and texture better than metamucil. But if you just can't stand the powder, by all means, look to other alternatives....again, the main thing is to keep your stool formed and consistent. Good luck and remember, the fiber is the best thing you can do for diverticulosis! Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Citrucel shouldn't be used for diarrhea.

Metamucil comes in wafers as well as the capsules. The psyllium absorbs the water from the diarrhea and uses it to bulk and create stool.

It takes a while to find a balance....I have UC, and I use Metamucil to help with diarrhea....and it works really well....just have to make sure to not use too much or one can end up with constipation.

Slow and easy and eventually the proper dosaging can be sought....and adjusted accordingly to hard stools/diarrhea.

quincy

Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
(female)

dlamb7877 HB User

Since you are newly diagnosed, you may want to start off with a high-fiber diet rather than a supplement like Metamucil. Lots of vegetables, cereals like shredded wheat and oatmeal, fruits, etc. provide much of the fiber necessary.

Debra

Last edited by dlamb7877; 08-01-2004 at 10:07 PM.

Closed Thread