It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 08:04 PM   #1

FireWoman HB User
External Hemorrhoid Blues - Oh what to do!!! Help!!

Ok, I have 1 sometimes 2 small external hemorrhoids. I had the PPH procedure but that really only worked on my internals. I HATE to sound so graphic but I know that on this board modesty is nowhere to be found - and for good reason. We have problems - we need answers. So here we go. My external hemorrhoid sticks outside all of the time. There is no pushing it back in because it just sneaks right back out as it is external and right there. Before the PPH it would thrombose occassionally as I have IBS with alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. I never know what my bowels are going to do from day to day. Now on to my question, I was just wondering how many of you out there have externals that just stick outside of you and if you just manage them day to day with no problems?

Any info would be of great help,

Dana

Old 09-04-2004, 02:55 PM   #2

artteach23 HB User
Re: External Hemorrhoid Blues - Oh what to do!!! Help!!

i have the same problem. i am debating on surgery. Sometimes i think i will just grin and bear it but they are so much bigger now. i have let it get out of hand but I'm not sure if I can bear the ppain of the surgery.
I need to know how bad is it to have them cut out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #3

blene HB User

Hi Dana!

I told you I would post after my follow-up appt. The nurse practicioner (No, I did NOT get to see the doctor!) told me the swelling was normal, and she SWORE they cut everything out. She also said people come in all the time insisting that they didn't get it all because of the swelling, but that they did. I'm still not so sure because if my BM doesn't happen the minute I sit on the toilet, I still get the EXACT same swelling I had before. But if anything that's the hypertrophic papillae, which is different than hemmorhoids. The hemorrhoid they cut off IS gone.

If you can't manually put your hemorrhoid back in, it's a Grade IV hemmorhoid, I believe. I could always put mine back in and it would stay until my next BM. It doesn't sound like the surgery is going to fix that. Have you talked to your doc anymore?

The nurse practicioner said that although long term studies haven't been done on PPH, she doubts any recurrence, EVEN after going through labor! I asked if I was just basically going to be pushing everything back out again when I have the baby, and she said that after PPH there is nothing left TO push out, because they cut it all out. Which makes sense I guess.

I feel a lot better now though. Still on all the stool softener and fiber, but I imagine I probably will be throughout the pregnancy. Hopefully after that I can quit! But my trips to the bathroom are not painful anymore and I haven't soaked in a hot tub in almost a week! I was doing that about 2-3 days before.

Well, hopefully my swelling will go away and you can get your problem taken care of too! I hope you don't have to go through surgery again, but if you do, good luck! Maybe they can laser it or something---I've heard that's less painful. There is also the freezing and banding. Who knows which is better! I'll keep checking to see what happens!

Brenda

Old 09-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

Dana,

I have the same problem you have. I have 2 small H's that are externally. I have tried pushing them back in internally, but they won't go in. Mine developed about 4 years ago. I had a bad "episode" while having a BM, and that's when I developed them. They were sore and swollen, but eventually the soreness went away and the swelling did-ALMOST. lol lol What I have left since then are 2 small externally ones (1 is about 1/2 the size of a pinto bean and 1 is about the size of a pinto bean, as far as length goes), that WILL NOT GO AWAY!!! I've tried Prep H suppositories and cream; I've tried Anusol suppositories. They won't budge. It's almost like they're "scar tissue" or something, and I'm thinking the only way they're gonna go away is to have them cut off. I just don't even wanna think about that. So for the past 2 years I have been taking stool softeners everyday to help me when I have a BM. They help sooo much, but every now and again I'll have a bad BM and those jokers swell up. ARGH!!! WHY WON'T THESE THINGS GO AWAY!!??!!?? If you get them cut off, do they come back? Does anybody know? HELP!!!

Old 09-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #5

FireWoman HB User

Thank you so much for all of your kind replies.

artteach23, I am assuming you teach art. I would love to if I had the talent. Anyway, really, in my opinion, there is only so much "grin and bearing it" you can take before you are going to have to relent to surgery. Everyone I have talked to said that it was painful, but they are so glad they did it because they are GONE FOR GOOD (hoepfully for good). Hey, If it gets bad enough, maybe we can schedule our surgeries at the same time and go through the healing process together. Won't that be fun . I am just geting so sick of walking 20 feet and all of my externals coming out. Especially since I just had the PPH hemorrhoidectomy procedure and I thought they were gone for good. They really bother me. This weekend I went to Austin to visit some frineds and we went out to a club to go dancing. I lasted about 10 minutes on the dance floor before all 3 came out, and I know from experience, if I don't sit down right away, they wil thrombose. Personally, mine have thrombosed so many times I think my body has gotten used to the pain. Anyway, my doctor told me that if the pph procedure that I went through did not take care of all of my externals, all he would have to do is take a scalpel, quickly cut it (them) off and caterize (sp?) them after about a month after recovery from the PPH. He said I would be pretty sore for a few days or weeks but it would be nothing like a complete hemorrhoidectomy where they cut out all of the internals as well as externals (since I already had the PPH procedure done). Maybe you should talk to your doctor about having both done. Many docs are doing that now, PPH for the internals and at the same time removing externals. I know BLENE had both done at the same time. Maybe you should ask her more about it. My doctore PROMISED me that this way is FAR LESS PAINFULL than the traditional cut everything out method. I am actually going to see my surgean on Thursday to scope me and see what exactly is going on up there. I woud love to know. If I could scope myself at this point, I would (just kidding). Anyway, please keep me posted on you progress. It's nice to know there are people in the same situation as I am.

BLENE,

I am so glad you updated me on your appointment. I was thinking about you. I sure hope that the nurse practitioner was correct in your case and it is JUST swelling. Iswear though, if this continues, DEMAND that you see your doctor so that he can scope yuo and REALLY find out what is going on down there. Call me crazy, but sometimes I feel like doctos lie and say everything is fine because they are so afraid of getting sued for malpractice. I don't want to sue anubody, I just want it to be done right, and it it's not, than fix it. I am glad that you BMs are not painful anymore. Mine aren't either unless I have Diarrhea (ouch). Well anyway, I will keep you posted on my appointment this Thursday.

PBABY,

Prep h and/or Anusol do not work that well on hemorrhoids. They marginally work on the swelling but if you already have a bad episode, you skin has already stretched out to the point of no return. Unfortunately, Anusol does not take the stretch out of your skin - only cutting the remaining skin off will solve that. Read what Iread to ARTTEACH23. My doc suggested the PPH procedure first to bring up all of the extra skin and whatever external hems were left after about a month of healing from that, they would trim with a scalpel. My doc SWEARS it is not as barbaric as a complete hemorrhoidectomy. He said that you wil be sore for a while, but nothing CLOSE to a complete hemorrhoidectomy. I know that BLENE had a PPH as well as removal of some extrnal hemorrhoids. She seems to be doing a lot better than most of the people on this board with full hemorrhoidectomies. I am sure I am definitely going to have to get the remaining external tissue excised. It is just a matter of when I can fit it into my schedule and i have already gone through 3 surgeries in 8 months (C-Section, gallbladder removal, and PPH Hemorrhoidectomy). i need a break. Please keep me posted on your progress.

I will be thinking about you all,

Dana

Old 09-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #6

FireWoman HB User
FOR BLENE, ARTTEAHC23, and PBABY

Please read above attached e-mail. I forgot to put you guys in my message space so you would know that that post was for all of you.

Dana

Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

Dana,

Thanks for the info!! I have made 3 appointments to have my h's looked at and each time, I cancelled the appointment the day before I was supposed to go in. I just get scared. You would think that as bad as I want to get these things gone that I would just go get it over with, but I just chicken out at the last second. I've just gotta bit the bullet and do it. Problem is that I won't be able to go get it done until December b/c I work full time and go to school. I know I need to at least get them looked at first. Okay, I'll fess up-the thing that is keeping me from going to the dr and getting them looked at is the fact that I have to give myself an enema the morning of my appointment, and I have never done that before, so of course I am scared to death. You would think I wouldn't be after using suppositories, but I am. I don't mean to get off the subject here, but anybody got any tips on the enema thing? Not on how to do it but on how to get the nerve to give myself one.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #8

astara HB User

You can try the fleet emema it is not so bad. Just think of the good side the hh's will be gone. I have to mustard up the nerve to see the doc about mine.

I hope they can be done with the rubber band or staple I hear? No matter what, it will hurt.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #9

FireWoman HB User

PBABY,

Enemas really aren't bad. I can say that because I have had to give myself numerous ones for numerous colon procedures AND was given one by a nurse before my PPH. Like Astara said, fleets saline enemas are easy. Just do it and you will understand that your fears are unsubstantiated. When I had my colonoscopy, I had the mac daddy of enemas. I swear it put liquid through my entire colon and THAT wasn't even bad. It was over with before I knew it. Take the saline fleets. They give you detailed instructions right there on the pkg. GO SEE THAT DOCTOR!!!!! and report back of course

Dana

Old 09-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #10

artteach23 HB User

i am getting married this year so i will have to wait until after the wedding in case god forbid things go wrong and the healing process is longer than expected. I hate this problem... i thought it was getting better the last few days and then bang... blood from a torn hemorrhoid! anyway i am only 25... how old are you guys? i thought you only get them when you had children or were over 50... lucky us!!
update me if you have anything done? i need it!

Closed Thread